Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

LeroyPaul
Helper I
Helper I

Licenses for organization

Hello,

I would like to have some help to better understand the access to Power BI according to the licenses.

In an organization, if a user has a Power BI PRO account, can he share the access to other users (free license) to a workspace in read mode? Or give them access to an application?

If this is not possible, do all users need to have a pro license? Or a prenium workspace?

Thanks for your help !

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
bcdobbs
Super User
Super User

You have two routes depending on size of organisation.

1) Everybody is given a pro (or premium per user licence). Which enables content to be shared. Only those with licences can see shared content.

2) You buy a premium capacity. Then report consumers only need a free licences to view reports inside the capacity. Report authors still need a pro licence.

Ben Dobbs

LinkedIn | Twitter | Blog

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! This will help others on the forum!
Appreciate your Kudos!!

View solution in original post

TomMartens
Super User
Super User

Hey @LeroyPaul ,

report creators (people who are publishing a report to a workspace) must have a Pro licences.

Report Consumers

• must have a Pro license if the reports are hosted in a non-Premium workspace
  •  can have a Free license if the reports are hosted in a Premium workspace and the report will be shared using using a Power BI App (What is a Power BI app? - Power BI | Microsoft Docs)

When you want to use specific features like paginated reports but the number of users is small you can assign Premium Per User licences to the users. You can enable this and other Premium feature by assigning a workspace to a Premium Per User capacity:
image.png
Content that resides in a Premium Per User workspace can only be accessed by people who have a Premium Per User license assigned.

Hopefully this provides what you are looking for.

Regards,
Tom

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution, this will help others!

Proud to be a Super User!
I accept Kudos 😉
Hamburg, Germany

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
TomMartens
Super User
Super User

Hey @LeroyPaul ,

report creators (people who are publishing a report to a workspace) must have a Pro licences.

Report Consumers

• must have a Pro license if the reports are hosted in a non-Premium workspace
  •  can have a Free license if the reports are hosted in a Premium workspace and the report will be shared using using a Power BI App (What is a Power BI app? - Power BI | Microsoft Docs)

When you want to use specific features like paginated reports but the number of users is small you can assign Premium Per User licences to the users. You can enable this and other Premium feature by assigning a workspace to a Premium Per User capacity:
image.png
Content that resides in a Premium Per User workspace can only be accessed by people who have a Premium Per User license assigned.

Hopefully this provides what you are looking for.

Regards,
Tom

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution, this will help others!

Proud to be a Super User!
I accept Kudos 😉
Hamburg, Germany

Thank you very much for your explanations!

bcdobbs
Super User
Super User

You have two routes depending on size of organisation.

1) Everybody is given a pro (or premium per user licence). Which enables content to be shared. Only those with licences can see shared content.

2) You buy a premium capacity. Then report consumers only need a free licences to view reports inside the capacity. Report authors still need a pro licence.

Ben Dobbs

LinkedIn | Twitter | Blog

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! This will help others on the forum!
Appreciate your Kudos!!

Thank you very much for your explanations!

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

Top Solution Authors