Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

UserMonmore

Incremental Refresh and data models

Hello Everyone

Would really appreciate help on this . I am new to Power BI and a bit confused

I am loading a very large excel flat files into Power BI and using Power Query to break the data into a fact and dimensions tables

And the usual cleaning and connecting of data

I see that Incremental Refresh (Power BI Premium ) is based on a time stamp on a loading  table so my questions are 

Does Incremental refresh work on more than one table at a time if you have several of the same tables coming from differnt sources but only one or two have changes) ?

Hows about if the structure of a tabel changess ie someone adds a column ?

How does it handle if there is alot of modeling in Power Query ? 

Is there a better alternative to handle large flat files that need to be modelled and uploaded than using incremental refresh ?

I also have a query about getting data from MS SQL into Power BI with a Data Gateway 

I read and not sure if true that the Data Gateway does not work with an SQL Stored Procedure ..is this still true ?

Can one load Temp tables directly into Power BI or would it be better to use VIEWS ?

I want to keep the SQL data strutures but has anyone any idea which is the most efficient way to get the SQL data tables through a Data Gateway into Power BI if a Premium or PRO user

Thank you 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@UserMonmore I believe it is still a requirement that incremental refresh sources support Query Folding, which rules out Excel files and other flat files like CSV's, etc. Incremental refresh for datasets and real-time data in Power BI - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

Follow on LinkedIn
@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@UserMonmore I believe it is still a requirement that incremental refresh sources support Query Folding, which rules out Excel files and other flat files like CSV's, etc. Incremental refresh for datasets and real-time data in Power BI - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

Follow on LinkedIn
@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

Power BI Carousel June 2024

Power BI Monthly Update - June 2024

Check out the June 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

Top Solution Authors