Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

AlexandreCop
Frequent Visitor

Importing Excel spreadsheet from SharePoint Site - Some cells are replaced with blanks

Hi,

The only related post I found was this one: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Service/Cell-value-quot-TBD-quot-being-imported-a-blank/m-p/219591

I am importing an Excel spreadsheet from a SharePoint site as a dataset, so I can use the scheduled refreshes.

I noticed that cells containing "/" or "\", e.g ."N/A", are replaced with a blank.

I can't figure out how to address this. I checked the spreadsheet, and the cells are formatted as text, so that shouldn't be an issue.

Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
AlexandreCop
Frequent Visitor

Hi,

Some progress! It appears that if I try to connect to the spreadsheet from the web interface (with Get Data / Files / SharePoint - Team Sites, I guess the problem mentioned above.

I have tried again, from Power BI Desktop this time, using Get Data / Web and enter the direct link to the spreadsheet. The data is now as I expect it to be!

I'm not sure why the behaviour is different, but here we are...

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
AlexandreCop
Frequent Visitor

Hi,

Some progress! It appears that if I try to connect to the spreadsheet from the web interface (with Get Data / Files / SharePoint - Team Sites, I guess the problem mentioned above.

I have tried again, from Power BI Desktop this time, using Get Data / Web and enter the direct link to the spreadsheet. The data is now as I expect it to be!

I'm not sure why the behaviour is different, but here we are...

Interesting find.  Sadly the web connector is not the preferred option (as it locks you into a single file). But at least the issue ticket now can write itself easier...

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

Most likely the Excel column is formatted as number.   

What is the problem with the null/blank representation?

Hi,

I have double checked the column and the cells are definitely formatted as text.

This particular column can have the values Yes, No, N/A or - (when the column value has not been set).

Yes and No are showing fine, but both N/A and - are converted to blank.

Hope this clarifies.

Are these cells produced through VLOOKUP?  

What is the problem with the null/blank representation?

Hi,

No, the values are typed in manually.

"What is the problem with the null/blank representation?" - I don't know what you mean by this?

I would think that representing "#N/A"  as  blank/null is appropriate.  Unless it literally is a text of "#"+"N"+"/"+"A"  ?

Hi,

In this column a blank value and the text value "N/A" are valid, and have a different meaning, hence why I need to show both within PowerBI.

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors