Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Cell value "TBD" - being imported a blank

This has to be simple. I have a cell value with the string "TBD" in a simple two column Table in an excel file stored locally. Strings are formatted as "general" in Excel. I import into Power BI Service as a data set (Get Files / Local Files/ Import) and do a simple table visualisation for the two columns. Here is my data in Excel:

Standard General Text... no formulasStandard General Text... no formulas

Here is my data in Power BI Service Table visualisation.

"Table" visualisation drops TBD and N/A"Table" visualisation drops TBD and N/A

TBD and N/A are being replaced with blanks... remember these are NOT the result of formulas in Excel - they are hard coded strings.... Appreciate any suggestions. 

Sample result in other visualisation too (TBD and N/A being considered blank).

"Show items with no data" does not seem to make a difference

Gerard

4 REPLIES 4
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@Anonymous,

I can reproduce your issue in Power BI Service. I will report this issue internally and post back once I get any updates.

In addition, you can use Power BI Desktop to connect to the Excel file, then create reports in Power BI Desktop and publish reports to Power BI Service, everything works well and table visual shows value as expected in this case. 

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

@v-yuezhe-msftThanks for confirming, I thought I was losing my mind Smiley Wink There could be other textual instances that dont work, I just stumbled across two (TBD and NA).

Can you give me a sense when this might get fixed? Are we talking days/weeks/months?

I dont use Power BI Desktop, so I will probably wait for a fix to Service and work around this issue in the interim.  Appreciate if you could update this thread when a fix is available. 

Thanks again for confirming the issue.

Regards

Ger

@Anonymous

The fix may not comes very soon. No ETA is possible today. 

As a workaround, please load the Excel file into a PBIX file and publish the PBIX file.

Best Regards,
Herbert

@Anonymous,

The team is investigating this issue. Once I get any updates about this issue, I will post back.

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors