Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

shoaibalvi
Helper I
Helper I

Ideas for publishing the Power BI report

Hi all,

I am working on a power BI report that pulls in sales data from Azure data bricks for all markets in my organisation. I intend to publish this report so that users from across the globe can access it at whatever time is convenient to them, use filters for thier respective markets, and perform the analysis.

Initially I intended to just "publish" the report so that it goes and sits under apps.powerbi.com and then make the link assessible.

However, I am slightly concerned now with the volume of data. The power bi query pulls in tens of thousands of data lines so I am wondering now if there needs to be a different way to publish such reports? E.g. a dedicated server space / domain setup by the IT? If i leave it on app.powerbi.com, it wouldn't be linked to my laptop in anyway I assume, i.e., my laptop doesn't need to be turned on and connected for anyone to view the report?

Question 2: I am also wondering if its possible to "pause" the query by default when someone launches the report. I intend to add slicers on the front page for market number and date range, and would prefer if power bi performs query for the selections made on this slicer only. This way the amount of data it needs to retrieve would cut down significantly but I am not sure if its possible?

Any ideas / suggestions would be greatly appreciated! thanks!

1 REPLY 1
djurecicK2
Super User
Super User

Hi @shoaibalvi , 

#1) Once published, the report is not connected to your individual laptop. There are data size limitations to the Power BI Pro license, so if you do need more space or better performance, you could consider a Premium Per User license.

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/pricing/#features-compare-charts

If you did go to Premium Per User, then each user that accesses the report will also need the same PPU license.

#2) Is your report in import or direct query mode? Especially for Direct Query, you have the right idea to use pre-set filters to prevent all of the data from being loaded. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Top Solution Authors