Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

villora
Frequent Visitor

I can't map to the correct shared connection to a semantic model

Hi,

I’m using the new shared connection feature to create a library of connections at the service and it was okay until now.

I have a lot of semantic models which connect to the same Azure Databricks cluster with the same host and HTTP path but different keys (different keys for different gold layers) and the problem is:

• I have a shared connection created to Azure Databricks, with the Host;HTTP path string connection and key authentication (I will call it key1) and I have a semantic model which uses this shared connection. This Shared Connection is called SC1.
  • I upload a new semantic model with the same Azure Databricks connection but a different key (key2) and create a new shared connection with this. This Shared Connection is called SC2.

The problem is that I can’t assign the SC2 cloud connection to the new semantic model, I’m only able to assign the old SC1.

I checked:

• The connection in the local semantic model (it uses the correct connection string and key),
  • Users assigned to the shared connections (all necessary users are assigned),
  • And connection through personal cloud connect (It refreshes the semantic model well).

Additional info: There is another data source (SharePoint) and I’m able to connect the right SharePoint cloud connection to each semantic model.

If I try to create a new shared connection from the new semantic model, it is created but I can’t map to it either.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-nuoc-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @villora 

@lbendlin  Thank you for sharing!

From your description, it looks like you are trying to use different keys for different semantic models connected to the same Azure Databricks cluster.

However, this may not be supported by the shared connection feature, as it only allows one key per connection string.

As mentioned in the following link, "If you have multiple data sources using the same connection string, you can create a shared connection and use it to connect all data sources. However, if you have multiple data sources using different connection string, you need to create a separate shared connection for each data source."

This might be of some help to you:

Troubleshoot common sharing issues in Delta Sharing | Databricks on AWS

Therefore, you may need to use a different host or HTTP path for each semantic model that requires a different key, and create a separate shared connection for each model.

Regards,

Nono Chen

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-nuoc-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @villora 

@lbendlin  Thank you for sharing!

From your description, it looks like you are trying to use different keys for different semantic models connected to the same Azure Databricks cluster.

However, this may not be supported by the shared connection feature, as it only allows one key per connection string.

As mentioned in the following link, "If you have multiple data sources using the same connection string, you can create a shared connection and use it to connect all data sources. However, if you have multiple data sources using different connection string, you need to create a separate shared connection for each data source."

This might be of some help to you:

Troubleshoot common sharing issues in Delta Sharing | Databricks on AWS

Therefore, you may need to use a different host or HTTP path for each semantic model that requires a different key, and create a separate shared connection for each model.

Regards,

Nono Chen

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

I’m using the new shared connection feature

what's that?  Got a link?

Ah, I remember now. When we asked if that can be done for regular gateways too we got a lot of blank stares back.

Apologies for derailing the topic. I hope someone else can help you further.

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors