Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Jeremy19
Helper III
Helper III

How to refresh report in real time

Hello,

I would like to understand more about updating report. I have a practical case where my Power bi is linked to an Excel data source, all stored on Sharepoint Online. The Excel data is updated every 10 seconds and I would like the shared Power bi to be able to update itself every minute (maximum), for about two hours.

Today I have two limitations: I need to update the data in the Power Bi service and the user has to manually update the report views.

How can I reduce these manual updates as much as possible? No longer use Excel but another data source?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

You would need a Direct Query data source and APR (automatic Page Refresh)  enabled in your tenant.  

Instead, consider using a push dataset and a dashboard.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-xiaoyan-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi  @Jeremy19 ,

Yes, It's hard for excel to meet your needs.

When you store a Power BI Desktop file on SharePoint Online, any data you’ve loaded into your file’s model is imported into the semantic model. Any changes you make to your file on SharePoint Online, such as adding new measures, changing column names, or editing visualizations, are synced with the Power BI service, usually within about an hour.

You need to open the Excel file from SharePoint Online/OneDrive for Business in Excel Desktop App to get the link path first. Then use the ‘Web’ connector to access the file path in PowerBI Desktop. When you paste the file path into the URL field, you must delete ‘?web=1’ from the end of the file path.

Please note that the refresh rate in Power BI for SharePoint Online or OneDrive is approximately one hour. If your Excel data is updated every 10 seconds, you might not see the changes reflected immediately in your Power BI report.

Best regards.
Community Support Team_ Caitlyn

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

You would need a Direct Query data source and APR (automatic Page Refresh)  enabled in your tenant.  

Instead, consider using a push dataset and a dashboard.

So it's impossible to use an Excel source?

pretty much.  Excel is a Import mode source, and even if you are on a Premium Capacity with unlimited daily refreshes  it is still not a feasible setup. I mean, you could push it to work but the effort to result ratio will be miserable.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Kudoed Authors