Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Anonymous
Not applicable

How to perform schedule refreshing monthly by grouping specific tables in the dataset?

I have few questions regarding the refreshing of data, could someone please point me in the right direction? 

Scenario: I have a total of 10 tables in the dataset that I have published which is connected to the Azure SQL Database. So I would like to refresh all tables every month at specific timings for a set of tables (ex: Table 1 to 4 on 10pm, Table 5 to 8 at 11:30 pm and Table 9-10 11:59 pm on the last day of each month)

Questions: 

1) How to perform schedule refreshing monthly by grouping specific tables in the dataset? 

2) Does we need premium per user or premium capacity workspace to perform this action or can we do it in pro?

3) Can we publish a dataset in the power bi premium per user capacity workspace and use the dataset in the pro workspace? 

Thank you in advance for the help 🙂

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yalanwu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @Anonymous ;

1) For Schedule refreshing monthly by grouping specific tables, Dataset table partitions are not visible and cannot be managed in the service. For datasets in a workspace assigned to a Premium capacity, partitions can be managed through the XMLA endpoint by using tools like SQL Server Management Studio (SSMS), the open-source Tabular Editor, scripted with Tabular Model Scripting Language (TMSL), and programmatically with the Tabular Object Model (TOM).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXgm7984oTs

https://blog.crossjoin.co.uk/2020/04/13/keep-the-existing-data-in-your-power-bi-dataset-and-add-new-data-to-it-using-incremental-refresh/

2) This data set requires a premium capacity workspace
3) This is ok if I understand you correctly, Premium enables widespread distribution of content by Pro users without requiring Pro or Premium Per User (PPU) licenses for recipients who view the content.

Best Regards,
Community Support Team_ Yalan Wu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-yalanwu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @Anonymous ;

1) For Schedule refreshing monthly by grouping specific tables, Dataset table partitions are not visible and cannot be managed in the service. For datasets in a workspace assigned to a Premium capacity, partitions can be managed through the XMLA endpoint by using tools like SQL Server Management Studio (SSMS), the open-source Tabular Editor, scripted with Tabular Model Scripting Language (TMSL), and programmatically with the Tabular Object Model (TOM).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXgm7984oTs

https://blog.crossjoin.co.uk/2020/04/13/keep-the-existing-data-in-your-power-bi-dataset-and-add-new-data-to-it-using-incremental-refresh/

2) This data set requires a premium capacity workspace
3) This is ok if I understand you correctly, Premium enables widespread distribution of content by Pro users without requiring Pro or Premium Per User (PPU) licenses for recipients who view the content.

Best Regards,
Community Support Team_ Yalan Wu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you very much @v-yalanwu-msft

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

For table specific refresh you can issue MDX queries against the XMLA endpoints, for example from ALM Toolkit or from SSMS etc. You can even refresh individual partitions.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors