Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

bingbin
Regular Visitor

How to import data from PowerBI dataset into the SQL database automatically.

How to automatically import data from PowerBI dataset to SQL database ? Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
MAwwad
Super User
Super User

To automatically import data from a PowerBI dataset into a SQL database, you can use the Power BI Dataflows feature. This feature allows you to extract, transform, and load (ETL) data from various sources, including PowerBI datasets, into a dataflow and then export the data to an Azure SQL database. Here are the steps to achieve this:

1. Connect to your PowerBI dataset: In Power BI Desktop, select the "Get Data" option from the Home ribbon, and then choose the "Power Platform" category. From the list of options, select "Power BI dataflows."

2. Load the data into a dataflow: In the Power BI dataflows screen, select the PowerBI dataset you want to import into your SQL database, and then click "Load" to load the data into a dataflow.

3. Export the data to an Azure SQL database: After the data is loaded into the dataflow, go to the "Dataflow" tab in the Power BI Desktop, and select the "Export data" option. From the list of options, select "Azure SQL Database." Enter the connection details for your Azure SQL database, and then select the tables you want to export.

4. Set up automatic refresh: Once the data is exported to your Azure SQL database, you can set up automatic refresh to ensure that the data in your SQL database is always up-to-date. To do this, go to the "Manage Dataflows" option in the PowerBI service, select your dataflow, and then choose the "Refresh" option. In the "Refresh" screen, select the "Automatically refresh" option, and set the refresh frequency as required.

Note: The Power BI Dataflows feature requires an Azure Power Platform license to use. If you do not have an Azure Power Platform license, you will need to purchase one before you can use the feature.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
bingbin
Regular Visitor

Hi MAwwad, actually, I want to know if there is a way to automatically / manually import PBI data into SQL server instead of Azure. thanks.

bingbin
Regular Visitor

thanks for your reply.

I have Pro license to publish reports and create dataflow in the premium workspace, but the functionality you describe is not available to me in the Power BI desktop. The solution you provided requires IT level permissions, not user/admin level permissions, correct?

Hi Bingbin,

Can you find the dataflow tab mentioned from Power BI desktop? How did the solution help? 

MAwwad
Super User
Super User

To automatically import data from a PowerBI dataset into a SQL database, you can use the Power BI Dataflows feature. This feature allows you to extract, transform, and load (ETL) data from various sources, including PowerBI datasets, into a dataflow and then export the data to an Azure SQL database. Here are the steps to achieve this:

1. Connect to your PowerBI dataset: In Power BI Desktop, select the "Get Data" option from the Home ribbon, and then choose the "Power Platform" category. From the list of options, select "Power BI dataflows."

2. Load the data into a dataflow: In the Power BI dataflows screen, select the PowerBI dataset you want to import into your SQL database, and then click "Load" to load the data into a dataflow.

3. Export the data to an Azure SQL database: After the data is loaded into the dataflow, go to the "Dataflow" tab in the Power BI Desktop, and select the "Export data" option. From the list of options, select "Azure SQL Database." Enter the connection details for your Azure SQL database, and then select the tables you want to export.

4. Set up automatic refresh: Once the data is exported to your Azure SQL database, you can set up automatic refresh to ensure that the data in your SQL database is always up-to-date. To do this, go to the "Manage Dataflows" option in the PowerBI service, select your dataflow, and then choose the "Refresh" option. In the "Refresh" screen, select the "Automatically refresh" option, and set the refresh frequency as required.

Note: The Power BI Dataflows feature requires an Azure Power Platform license to use. If you do not have an Azure Power Platform license, you will need to purchase one before you can use the feature.

I am sorry, but this solution does not make any sense!

Step 1 & 2 : Says, connect on Desktop and load Dataset into Dataflow?? 
Dataflow can only be created on Service! How are you asking to load data from Desktop into Service??

Hello,

The idea is to start from a blank query, because powerbi desktop is more dynamic than the online version.

So after starting from a blank query, you can then copy the script from advanced editor and paste it on the advanced editor of the dataflow on powerbi services so it will replicate all the steps you want to apply on the dataflow 😉

Hi MAwwad, I've never seen a "Dataflow" tab in Power BI Desktop as described in Step 3. Am I missing something? For years I have wanted a SIMPLE solution to get data from PBI dataflows and/or dataset TO Azure SQL. Is this really a thing?

Note: I use PBI Dataflows everyday but have never found a way to get data out of them (expect to PBI).

Did you ever find a solution?

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel

Fabric Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Fabric update to learn about new features.

LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

Top Solution Authors