Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

Essjay
Frequent Visitor

How to handle child datasets post migration from AAS to Power BI Premium

We are planning to migrate all 15 of our productin AAS models to PBI Premium but the business/report creators have crated numerous child datasets (by manually adding columns/measures etc to the certified production model). What is the best strategy to repoint these child datasets to the migrated model post migration? Maually downloading and repointing to migrated model is a huga effort and moreover upon download we loose the manually created columns/measures!

Any help is appreciated! Thanks!

3 REPLIES 3
Essjay
Frequent Visitor

@GilbertQ @v-heq-msft Thank you for replying. I can look into both the approaches suggested but would like to tell you that there are 100s of such child datasets (it's a wild wild west there). Also, we(IT department) doesn't want to add all those custom created columns/tables/measures to  the migrated dataset. IT has only certified 15 models but business has created many child datasets (100s) and many more reports off of these child datasets. So, I am really struggling here! Any other suggestions are also welcomed!

v-heq-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Essjay ,
Based on your description, you might consider using Power BI's REST API to automate the process of redirecting a dataset to a new model.API calls are particularly useful for batch changes to a dataset's connection details. This approach can greatly reduce manual work.
To address the issue of losing manually added columns/metrics during downloads and re-pointing, you can utilize the Table Editor, an external tool that allows advanced editing of the table model outside of Power BI Desktop. Prior to migration, use the Table Editor to script all custom metric values and columns in the sub-dataset. After migration, these scripts can be applied to the migrated dataset in Power BI Premium, thus preserving the customized items.
For the api you can refer to this document
Datasets - Update Datasources In Group - REST API (Power BI Power BI REST APIs) | Microsoft Learn
For the table editor you can refer to this link
https://tabulareditor.com/ 

Best regards,

Albert He

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly

GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @Essjay 

Unfortunately, I think there is no easy way to get this done due to there being users who have manually added columns and measures to the certified model. The only thing I can think of is to get a copy of all these additional details and add them to your AAS models before migrating them to power bi premium. You could look at using the new TMDL feature in parviyard desktop to extract that information.

Below is the link to the details for TMDL

Power BI February 2024 Feature Summary | Microsoft Power BI Blog | Microsoft Power BI

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Top Solution Authors