Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

seil
Frequent Visitor

How to export/share PBIX files from Pro account with colleagues with free accounts?

I am the only one with a Pro account in my company, so far. My manager wants to figure out if there is a way for a Pro user to share live/interactive reports such that we don't have to buy more Pro licenses.
I've gone through multiple sources and not found anything free. Pro/PPU/Premium capacity all cost money.

I even tried to create a power automate flow to export PBIX from the BI Service to SharePoint list, but the flow failed because it won't export unless the report is exported from an account in a reserved capacity (again, I only have Pro access).

Is there any way around this? To automate download of PBIX from BI Service and distribute it such that colleagues with free accounts can interact with and at least view the reports created by my Pro account?
Python/Selenium?
OneDrive?
Embed to SharePoint?
Embed to company website?
Anything!

6 REPLIES 6
seil
Frequent Visitor
Ritaf1983
Super User
Super User

Hi @seil 
As @Idrissshatila  there is no option to share live reports with free users if your license is pro.
You can send them the pbix to open from the Power BI desktop, which they can refresh if they have access to the data sources or a static version with export to pdf/power point.

If this post helps, then please consider Accepting it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly

Idrissshatila
Super User
Super User

Hello @seil ,

there's publish to web option but it's not secure, so if you have sensitive data then it's not recomended to do so.

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/collaborate-share/service-publish-to-web

other than that you need to provide pro license for users so they can view the report.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Appreciate your Kudos
Follow me on LinkedIn linkedIn
Vote for my Community Mobile App Idea

Proud to be a Super User!

Thank you for your response.

Yep, have gone through all the links, but it seems that to have live and secure reports my company will have to pay for more licenses.

So, if I want 10 people have to simply view my report (with live interaction), will we have to buy 10 Pro licenses? Seems so frustrating.

But I guess it makes sense from Microsoft's POV, else companies would buy just one Pro account.

It is still cheaper than most BI tools, even with that taken into consideration, so it's not completely unreasonable that they charge for it. They would lose money on it if they didn't charge viewer licenses - you could have an org of 100,000 viewers with one pro user if that were the case. 🙂

Hello @seil ,

true you need to buy 10 licenses, the thing is that Microsoft is a company that sells a service, and this is part of the service, like it has a employees dedicated to the Power BI development and support and needs to pay salaries.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Appreciate your Kudos
Follow me on LinkedIn linkedIn
Vote for my Community Mobile App Idea

Proud to be a Super User!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors