Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

techy7
Employee
Employee

How to connect OCDM dataset to Power BI? (Azure Data Lake Storage Gen2 set)

Hello, I recently got access to an OCDM dataset (One Commercial Data Model) but having a hard time connecting this data in Power BI.

I have a URL link to the data asset (Azure Data Lake Storage Gen2 resource set) and tried connecting to this using the Power BI connector but someone told me that I need to set up a Azure Databricks workspace to store data there, then connect it in Power BI. Is this the only way, or are there any alternativee ways I can directly connect to the OCDM dataset I got access to? 

First timer here so any advice would be greatly appreciated! 

Data Hierarchy: 

techy7_2-1715718878941.png

How it loads in Power BI. I can open these Binary/Parquet files but doesn't have the data I'm looking for. 

techy7_0-1715718509234.png

2 REPLIES 2
v-jianpeng-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @techy7 

To connect to Azure Data Lake Storage Gen2 from Power BI, you don't necessarily need to set up an Azure Databricks workspace. You can use the Azure Data Lake Storage Gen2 connector.

vjianpengmsft_0-1715827567494.png

You can refer to the following articles:

Power BI with Azure Data Lake Storage Gen2 – Power BI Desktop & Service | Data Awareness Programme (...

vjianpengmsft_1-1715827669214.png

You mentioned reading your Binary/Parquet file in Power Query and didn't find the data you need. You should make sure that your OCDM data is all stored in this file. There is no connector in Power BI that connects directly to OCDM. You can store your OCDM data in other repositories via ETL and then read the data from those repositories through Power BI.

How to Get Your Question Answered Quickly

If it does not help, please provide more details with your desired output and pbix file without privacy information (or some sample data) .

Best Regards

Jianpeng Li

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi Thank you for your reply!! I tried the Azure Data Lake Storage Gen2 connector in Powre BI and tried loading the data, but it didn't really work. Although I can connect to the URL link of the data asset and click through "binary" it didn't give me the data & schema I was looking for. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Top Solution Authors