Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

tplatt

How secure is sharing with an external organization (Power BI Premium)?

I am evaluating PowerBI Premium (P1).   I understand it's capacity licensed for readers - so our Pro licensed users  can share published dashboards/apps with clients or customers that our outside of our organization.  How does that work?  I know from the videos we share a link via email, but the customer then has to register for a PowerBI.com account? (Assume they are not an Office 365 customer).

What happens when they are an office 365 customer?  They will have to use their own password to access it? 

I would appreciate if someone could clarify this. 

Can someone share what the email looks like on receiving side (i.e. the invite email that goes to the external organization).

3 REPLIES 3
v-jiascu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @tplatt,

Could you please mark the proper answer as solution or share the solution if it's convenient for you? That will be a big help to the others.

Best Regards!
Dale

Community Support Team _ Dale
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
v-jiascu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @tplatt,

Please reference: powerbi-service-share-unshare-dashboard.

I quote some items more about Security.

1. With sharing, whether you share content inside or outside your organization, you and your recipients need a Power BI Pro license.

2. Everyone you share your dashboard with can see it and interact with your reports in Reading View. They can't create reports or save changes to existing reports.

3. The dashboard owner can turn resharing on and off.

4. "Share content with external users" can be shut down.How secure is sharing with an external organization (Power BI Premium).JPG

Best Regards!

Dale

Community Support Team _ Dale
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @tplatt

When the customer is an existing O365 customer they will still be able to accecss and view the report. The difference is that when they click on the link from the email, the Power BI report will open in the Power BI Service, but it will not be part of their current Power BI reports.

As you can see below there is no options on the left hand side once the user has clicked on the report. This is due to the fact that the external user is accessing the report in your Power BI tenant. So because of this the reports are not part of their reports (I hope that this makes sense)

Email Pic.png

And then this is what the email looks like once sent to an external user.

Email Pic.png

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel

Fabric Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Fabric update to learn about new features.

LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

Top Solution Authors