Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

uahmed114pbi
Frequent Visitor

Help with PBI App permissions

I have an app within PBI service. I've given it access to all workspaces, and entire organizations. I haven't had an issue from anyone accessing the report till today, where one of our users said they couldn't access one of the reports within the app. Theres about 5-6 reports, and they were able to view the others fine, just not the one labeled "Network" (see below scrnsht). Got the error, "Permission required, You cannot see the content of this report because you do not have permissions to the underlying dataset. Please contact the dataset owner to request access".  Not sure why this is happening with just one user, and on just one report within the app. I've looked around to compare this one report's dataset permissions compared to others, they're the same. But the user gets an error when viewing just this one. Any idea why that could be, or where else I should be looking? I'm an PBI Admin so have admin access. 

This is the access given to the app:

Permissions granted to appPermissions granted to app

This is the error user is getting: (the green box is reports they can view, the red box is the one where they received the error)

image.png

6 REPLIES 6
nalakanayana
Frequent Visitor

Watch this.it is sometimes confusing to understand,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-4Oud9jkuw

Ok I was hoping Guy in a Cube had a video on this, but didn't find this when I was searching. THis is helpful, hopefully this works. I'll know more when I get to speak to them today if this solution works. Thanks!

uahmed114pbi
Frequent Visitor

The app does have datasets from 2 different workspaces. For example, sales analysis, customers and network are in the same workspace, Orders is in a different one. But the user is able to see sales analysis, customers and orders, but not network. 

Probably that guy needs permissions on the dataset as well. Meaning Viewer in the workspace or permissions directly on the dataset.

Yeah that's what I'm trying to understand why that would be the case. There are many users who don't have direct access to the underlying dataset, but they haven't had an issue that way. Plus, isn't the point of creating an app and making it available to the entire organization mean that it should be atleast vieweable for everyone? 

Brunner_BI
Super User
Super User

is the dataset from that report maybe in another workspace?

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Top Solution Authors