Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

ncastsan
Regular Visitor

Help - I think I accidentally deleted all of our work in the PB Service!

Hello,

I'm sick to my stomach as I think I accidentally deleted all of our work.  I hope someone can help.  We had Power BI service set up with a certain, central account.  I want to say the account was one of several power bi licensed accounts.  Anyway, we publish all of our work (reports, data models, etc) to this service.  After doing some work in one of my reports, I published it to the workspace in the Service.  I went to go to the Service link I normally use and it looked like it was going in (loading), but then I had a prompt that said I wanted to sign up for a Free Fabric account.  I tried getting away from that prompt, but it kept coming up.  I figured it was one of the free Microsoft sign ups to try Fabric and I was being forced to sign up.  Anyway, I "signed up" and then I saw in my "new" account.  But I no longer saw any of our workspaces, reports, etc.??  I don't know where to go from here.  Am I really screwed at this point?  I hope someone can help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-zhengdxu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @ncastsan 

Could you confirm if you are currently logged into the Power BI Service with the correct account? It's possible that signing up for the Free Fabric account might have switched your active account session. Please verify by checking the account information in the top right corner of the Power BI Service.

If you have multiple Power BI licensed accounts, it's crucial to ensure you're logged in with the one that has access to the central workspace where your reports and data models are published. Maybe you can try logging out and then logging back in with the central account you mentioned.

In case the workspace was accidentally deleted, Power BI provides a way for administrators to restore deleted workspaces. This process is detailed in the Restore a deleted My workspace as an app workspace section of the Microsoft documentation. You would need to access the Fabric Admin portal, locate the deleted workspace, and follow the restoration steps. Please check if this might be applicable in your case.

View workspaces - Microsoft Fabric | Microsoft Learn

If you have administrative access, reviewing the audit logs in the Power BI admin portal could provide insights into actions taken on the workspaces and reports. This could help in understanding what happened.

Hope it helps.

Best Regards

Zhengdong Xu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-zhengdxu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @ncastsan 

Could you confirm if you are currently logged into the Power BI Service with the correct account? It's possible that signing up for the Free Fabric account might have switched your active account session. Please verify by checking the account information in the top right corner of the Power BI Service.

If you have multiple Power BI licensed accounts, it's crucial to ensure you're logged in with the one that has access to the central workspace where your reports and data models are published. Maybe you can try logging out and then logging back in with the central account you mentioned.

In case the workspace was accidentally deleted, Power BI provides a way for administrators to restore deleted workspaces. This process is detailed in the Restore a deleted My workspace as an app workspace section of the Microsoft documentation. You would need to access the Fabric Admin portal, locate the deleted workspace, and follow the restoration steps. Please check if this might be applicable in your case.

View workspaces - Microsoft Fabric | Microsoft Learn

If you have administrative access, reviewing the audit logs in the Power BI admin portal could provide insights into actions taken on the workspaces and reports. This could help in understanding what happened.

Hope it helps.

Best Regards

Zhengdong Xu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi Zhengdong Xu,

I must've been logged in as our "service" account which is kind of like a central, "shared" account for our team.  If I log into the PBI service as my account, I can see all the Workspaces as usual.  I verified my other colleagues still had access to the PBI service/workspaces as well.  So, long story short, all of our work is still there in the Workspaces, etc.  As you pointed out, I was probably in the wrong account or in fact, it switched from my account to the central account.  My supervisor is out until Tuesday so I will review with him the Admin portal to check the Audit logs - thank for the suggestion and reply!  Much appreciated!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Top Solution Authors