Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

SDM_1997
Helper II
Helper II

Expression.Error: We cannot convert the value "[Function]" to type Function in Power Bi Dataflow

Hi All!
So, I was trying to create dataflows by copying the same queries that are running in my Power Bi dataset.
Now these queries run totally fine in the dataset. Using Power Bi Desktop for checking and all.
Below are the screenshots of the original queries. So, 1st pic is the actual queries in the table and the 2nd pic is of a custom function that runs in that table's query.

SDM_1997_0-1645706747883.pngSDM_1997_1-1645706908766.png

Now, I copy pasted these exact queries and the custom function in Dataflow. 
I am getting the following error: -

SDM_1997_2-1645707102843.png

So, in the pbix , what I got was a column of records and I expanded that to get my values. So, point of error is the query where I am calling the custom function.
Here, it is showing as an error. If I click on the error, then I am getting the title of this post.

SDM_1997_3-1645707253275.png

Please let me know what exactly is wrong here. Based on power query I cannot see any error since it is running fine in the dataset..
Thanks in advance! 😁

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
v-yalanwu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @SDM_1997 ;

The issue seems to be the privacy settings in Power BI Service.

Please try the suggestions mentioned in below link:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/bee8a8e3-c8bd-48c6-a2c3-5d00bc5031b1/expressionerr...

Best Regards,
Community Support Team_ Yalan Wu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

Hi @DCHAKRAV 

I do not remember it now exactly what was the solution..
But you may try this once and check if ti solves the issue.

SDM_1997_0-1714505174613.png

Enable the combine data from multiple sources in the Privacy tab from the options settings in the DataFlow.

After that just re-enter your credentials and it should work. 

If there are still some issues then change the Privacy settings of all your data sources and make it the same like Organizational for all from the Manage Connections settings besides the Options settings. 

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
v-yalanwu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @SDM_1997 ;

The issue seems to be the privacy settings in Power BI Service.

Please try the suggestions mentioned in below link:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/bee8a8e3-c8bd-48c6-a2c3-5d00bc5031b1/expressionerr...

Best Regards,
Community Support Team_ Yalan Wu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

The provided lik says Page not found - what is the solution for this error?

Hi @DCHAKRAV 

I do not remember it now exactly what was the solution..
But you may try this once and check if ti solves the issue.

SDM_1997_0-1714505174613.png

Enable the combine data from multiple sources in the Privacy tab from the options settings in the DataFlow.

After that just re-enter your credentials and it should work. 

If there are still some issues then change the Privacy settings of all your data sources and make it the same like Organizational for all from the Manage Connections settings besides the Options settings. 

Thanks for the reply , it is working now . i changed privacy level in all data source . go to semantic model settings .  then data source credentials click on each data source and change setting to organizational

DCHAKRAV_0-1714632970329.png

Thank You very much for this.. 👍 😀
Yeah, I just went to dataflow settings and changed the credentials..
Strange when I was searching for this issue I could not find this forum post in the search. Only got 1 discussion with same issue but it was a different type of error 😅

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Top Solution Authors