Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

PURVI_SANCHETI
Regular Visitor

Exporting data with filters but doesn't get refreshed with next update

I am trying to export a report from Power BI service with all the filters working. But i don't want it to get updated with next month's updated data as i want to compare old and new reports simultaneously. Is there a way to do so?

Main goal : Want to compare current data with new data but raw data gets overwritten every month.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-jtian-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi,@PURVI_SANCHETI.Hello, @Anand24 ,thanks for your concern about this issue. 
Your solution looks great.And now I want to share my advice.

According to your description, you want to compare the change of power bi before and after each execution plan refresh

Here is my suggestion, you can refer to it.

According to your description, you can not use the dashboard embedded in the PPT to compare the version before and after, this is because the dashboard embedded in the PPT, is required to log in to the user account, by accessing the powerBI service way to get the dashboard data in real time for updating, which leads to the following result: the PPT is always dynamic changes in the stored dashboard. The result is: the dashboard stored in the PPT is always dynamically changing, and there is no way to make static comparisons.

Therefore, I suggest that the dashboard depends on the semantic model refreshed before and after the refresh by subscribing to the exported static file PPT/PDF sent to the user, so that you can compare, unfortunately, this way there is no way to compare the dynamic filtering of fields (because the export format is not . PBIX)

You can use power Automate to automate the operation of semantic model and subscription emailing.

The general steps are as follows:

Before Power Automate performs the refresh, send the email PPT, which subsequently triggers the refresh of the semantic model.

Send the refreshed dashboard (in the form of PPT/PDF).

and the direct use of Power BI service in the schedule Refresh compared to the use of Power Automate's benefits are: easier to configure, and automation, only after the success of the refresh to send an e-mail, to avoid writing a complex Script

The following is Power Automate configuration Folw tutorials
URL: How to Refresh Power BI Dataset Using Power Automate (process.st)
URL: Customize email in flows with Power Automate - Power Automate | Microsoft Learn

I hope my suggestions give you good ideas, if you have any more questions, please clarify in a follow-up reply.

Best Regards,

Carson Jian,

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
v-jtian-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi,@PURVI_SANCHETI.Hello, @Anand24 ,thanks for your concern about this issue. 
Your solution looks great.And now I want to share my advice.

According to your description, you want to compare the change of power bi before and after each execution plan refresh

Here is my suggestion, you can refer to it.

According to your description, you can not use the dashboard embedded in the PPT to compare the version before and after, this is because the dashboard embedded in the PPT, is required to log in to the user account, by accessing the powerBI service way to get the dashboard data in real time for updating, which leads to the following result: the PPT is always dynamic changes in the stored dashboard. The result is: the dashboard stored in the PPT is always dynamically changing, and there is no way to make static comparisons.

Therefore, I suggest that the dashboard depends on the semantic model refreshed before and after the refresh by subscribing to the exported static file PPT/PDF sent to the user, so that you can compare, unfortunately, this way there is no way to compare the dynamic filtering of fields (because the export format is not . PBIX)

You can use power Automate to automate the operation of semantic model and subscription emailing.

The general steps are as follows:

Before Power Automate performs the refresh, send the email PPT, which subsequently triggers the refresh of the semantic model.

Send the refreshed dashboard (in the form of PPT/PDF).

and the direct use of Power BI service in the schedule Refresh compared to the use of Power Automate's benefits are: easier to configure, and automation, only after the success of the refresh to send an e-mail, to avoid writing a complex Script

The following is Power Automate configuration Folw tutorials
URL: How to Refresh Power BI Dataset Using Power Automate (process.st)
URL: Customize email in flows with Power Automate - Power Automate | Microsoft Learn

I hope my suggestions give you good ideas, if you have any more questions, please clarify in a follow-up reply.

Best Regards,

Carson Jian,

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Anand24
Super User
Super User

@PURVI_SANCHETI ,
Hope you are talking about PPT/PDF export of the report. You can simply filter for the month you need and export using "Current Values"option for Export with dropdown.

If you are talking about exporting to analyze in excel, it will be for the complete underlying data and you will have to manually filter out the required month in excel. 

I am trying to export the dashboard in ppt with option to filter dynamically later, but it should not update with the next refresh of data in Power BI Dashboard. 

@PURVI_SANCHETI ,
Are you talking about "Embed live data" PPT export option? If yes, this option will always update the data since live connection to the dataset enables it. You will need to apply static month filter which might help keeping the filter even if the new data is taken from live dataset.

What is the type of filter you are using? Is it between date filter?

There are multiple filter options on data and also month filter. 
Embed live data PPT updates the data in PPT with every refresh. i believe there is no export functionality to keep the report dynamic with filters on data but static for next refresh.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Top Solution Authors