Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

rafal7
Regular Visitor

Export whole report to excel based on RLS

Hi,

Some of end users of my report (application) are "old school" and want to download whole report in excel (not exporting every visualization separately).

I see, that export to excel is blank:

rafal7_0-1706089892999.png

When I turn on "write" permission on dataset it is possible to analyze report in excel, but it is showing whole dataset despite the RLS settings.

Is it possible to let user download the whole report in excel, but according to their RLS rights?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yifanw-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @rafal7 ,

Based on the behavior you describe, this may be due to the permissions assigned to the user or the way the export operation is performed. Note that RLS only restricts data access for users with Viewer permissions. It doesn't apply to Admins, Members, or Contributors.

“Write” permissions on a dataset will give the user access to the entire dataset. You cannot enable users to download datasets in excel based on their RLS permissions, but you can enable them to use the export functionality in the service, and they should not use "Analyze in Excel" because "Analyze in Excel" is used for other purposes and may not follow RLS.

Best Regards,

Ada Wang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
rafal7
Regular Visitor

I see,

So for the viewer, there is no option to download whole report in xls. It is only possible to export specific visualizations one by one?

Hi @rafal7 ,

Yes, just as you said. If the previous post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Best Regards,

Ada Wang

v-yifanw-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @rafal7 ,

Based on the behavior you describe, this may be due to the permissions assigned to the user or the way the export operation is performed. Note that RLS only restricts data access for users with Viewer permissions. It doesn't apply to Admins, Members, or Contributors.

“Write” permissions on a dataset will give the user access to the entire dataset. You cannot enable users to download datasets in excel based on their RLS permissions, but you can enable them to use the export functionality in the service, and they should not use "Analyze in Excel" because "Analyze in Excel" is used for other purposes and may not follow RLS.

Best Regards,

Ada Wang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Sorry... how can I "enable them to use the export functionality in the service" leaving them just the Viewer permission? I mean... where i go? Which menu? Thanks...

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Top Solution Authors