Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

schaetzles
Frequent Visitor

Export is not filtering the row level security

Hello Guys,

I have a report with a row level security. 
If i export data from a table in power bi desktop the row level works and the csv is filtered right.
However, while testing different users in the power bi app, the exported data will not be filtered right and the user can see all data without any restrictions in the export. 

Does anyone know if this is just in the testing because im the admin of the workspace or will this be the final behaviour for the users in our app?

BEst regards

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
MatthiasPaul

Hello @schaetzles!

You are right this should be due to your role as the Admin in the workspace. Any role except the Viewer role will not have RLS applied to them. From the documentation:

"If you publish your Power BI Desktop report to a workspace in the Power BI service, the RLS roles are applied to members who are assigned to the Viewer role in the workspace. Even if Viewers are given Build permissions to the dataset, RLS still applies. For example, if Viewers with Build permissions use Analyze in Excel, their view of the data will be protected by RLS. Workspace members assigned AdminMember, or Contributor have edit permission for the dataset and, therefore, RLS doesn’t apply to them. If you want RLS to apply to people in a workspace, you can only assign them the Viewer role. Read more about roles in workspaces."

Row-level security (RLS) with Power BI - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

Try to create a user with the viewer role and see if RLS applies.

Best,

MatthiasPaul

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
MatthiasPaul

Hello @schaetzles!

You are right this should be due to your role as the Admin in the workspace. Any role except the Viewer role will not have RLS applied to them. From the documentation:

"If you publish your Power BI Desktop report to a workspace in the Power BI service, the RLS roles are applied to members who are assigned to the Viewer role in the workspace. Even if Viewers are given Build permissions to the dataset, RLS still applies. For example, if Viewers with Build permissions use Analyze in Excel, their view of the data will be protected by RLS. Workspace members assigned AdminMember, or Contributor have edit permission for the dataset and, therefore, RLS doesn’t apply to them. If you want RLS to apply to people in a workspace, you can only assign them the Viewer role. Read more about roles in workspaces."

Row-level security (RLS) with Power BI - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

Try to create a user with the viewer role and see if RLS applies.

Best,

MatthiasPaul

edhans
Super User
Super User

RLS only works if users are Viewers. If they have Contribution, Member, or Admin rights, they can see everything anyway as they have direct access to the datasets and RLS doesn't kick in.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

DAX is for Analysis. Power Query is for Data Modeling

Proud to be a Super User!

MCSA: BI Reporting

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Top Solution Authors