Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Export and email a report each time a new line is added

I have built a tool where an individual answers some questions on their skills and gets a report showing visualisation of their skills in Power BI. The person completes a form in Microsoft Forms, and I have a Power Automate flow that then transfers the data into the Power Bi dataset. The report is then filtered on the person's email address, which I use as their unique ID, and for the moment I've been manually exporting that report and emailing it to them.

I now need to automate this stage. What's the best way to export a report for a "new" email address each time a new one is added to the Power BI dataset, and then email the report to that email address? Do I need to use row-level security to ensure that the report is filtered to show only the data for that email address? What is the right trigger for this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
collinq
Super User
Super User

Hi @Anonymous ,

You could set up RLS and a subsription that send only to the person.  However, that would be difficualt because it seems that you want this to run "on-demand" whenever a new user updates their skills, rather than at a set time.  If you are not on Premium, you only have 8 refreshes a day so at most you could send this out 8 times a day.  Even with Premium it is not "unlimited" refreshes to send out emails. 

To me, this sounds like you need to create another Power Automate function that checks everytime the data changes and then sends an email to the specific person.  I do wonder how you are going to get around the refresh option though.

If you only are sending this once a day, then the subscription model should work since you are not trying to do this in real time.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Datanaut!
Private message me for consulting or training needs.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-luwang-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

Set alerts to notify you when data in your dashboards changes beyond limits you set.

You can set alerts on tiles in your My Workspace. You can also set alerts if someone shares a dashboard that's in a Premium capacity. If you have a Power BI Pro license, you can set alerts on tiles in any other workspace, too. Alerts can only be set on tiles pinned from report visuals, and only on gauges, KPIs, and cards. Alerts can be set on visuals created from streaming datasets that you pin from a report to a dashboard. Alerts can't be set on streaming tiles created directly on the dashboard using Add tile > Custom streaming data.

Only you can see the alerts you set, even if you share your dashboard. Even the dashboard owner can't see alerts you set on your view of their dashboard. Data alerts are fully synchronized across platforms; set and view data alerts in the Power BI mobile apps and in the Power BI service. They aren't available for Power BI Desktop. You can even automate and integrate alerts with Power Automate. You can try it yourself in this Power Automate and Power BI article.

To learn more details ,refer:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/create-reports/service-set-data-alerts  

Similar case refer:

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Service/Dashboard-Can-create-alerts-to-email-you-when-certain-conditions/m-p/193100 

Best Regards

Lucien

collinq
Super User
Super User

Hi @Anonymous ,

You could set up RLS and a subsription that send only to the person.  However, that would be difficualt because it seems that you want this to run "on-demand" whenever a new user updates their skills, rather than at a set time.  If you are not on Premium, you only have 8 refreshes a day so at most you could send this out 8 times a day.  Even with Premium it is not "unlimited" refreshes to send out emails. 

To me, this sounds like you need to create another Power Automate function that checks everytime the data changes and then sends an email to the specific person.  I do wonder how you are going to get around the refresh option though.

If you only are sending this once a day, then the subscription model should work since you are not trying to do this in real time.

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks so much @collinq . Once a day should be ample. Could you give a bit more insight around how to use the "subscription" approach?

Hi @Anonymous ,

Here is a link for subscriptions:

Email subscriptions for Power BI reports and dashboards - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Top Solution Authors