Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

IMett
Helper III
Helper III

Experience with organizational data type / featured tables

Hi everyone,

We are currently testing the "orgnizational data type" feature. (--> https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/collaborate-share/service-excel-featured-tables

All in all, the feature works well for us, and the business units are quite stunning about the possibilities.

However,  we noticed that the automatic recognition rate is lower than expected for several reasons:

- my feature table has the key column "employee" which is a character fields containing [prename surname] (e.g. "John Doe". When I try to categorize an employee entering "John Doe", Excel proposes all Johns in the organization, with John Doe often (but not always) in the first place.

- some values can occur in several columns. In this case, Excel doesn't know which column to choose, and often produces rather weird proposals.

So I am looking for best practices (if there are any) how to build the featured table, so that the recognition will be as good as possible. What I would like to do is:

- tell Excel to automatically categorize a cell as the best match, even if the confidence is below 100%

- tell Excel in which columns to look for a match with preference

Does anybody has any experience with those issues? I didn't find any ideas about that.

7 REPLIES 7
kathleeng23
Advocate I
Advocate I

I've had this same issue in that when we search for an employee, it also brings up everyone that reports to that employee.  It's a cool feature but would be nice if it sorted the results more accurately.

collinq
Super User
Super User

Hi @IMett ,

I am wondering about using fuzzy match to build your data so that you don't have to use 100% confidence?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Datanaut!
Private message me for consulting or training needs.

Hi @collinq ,

yes, that's also one of the things I thought about. But how could I use this in the featured tables scenario?

Hey @IMett ,

This link has some of the hints behind how it works - maybe modify the Feature table to get better results?  Perhaps things like not using numbers ?  Set featured tables in Power BI Desktop - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Datanaut!
Private message me for consulting or training needs.

IMett
Helper III
Helper III

Hi @v-henryk-mstf 

any further ideas about this topic?

v-henryk-mstf
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @IMett ,

According to your description, when a match is found in the column of a table in Excel with a preference match. So what is your specific business scenario in powerbi? Can you provide a screenshot to describe it so that I can answer you as soon as possible?

Looking forward to your reply.

Best Regards,
Henry

Hi @v-henryk-mstf 

Thanks for your reply.
I had to create a fictional dataset, because the original one contains sensitive data.

This is my featured table (opened in Power BI Desktop). I registered it with "employeeId" as the key and "employee" as the display column.

Data.PNG

Now this is what I encounter in Excel (GIF is probably the easiest way to demnostrate)

As you can see, when entering "John Doe", I get 5 possible results, with the first row from the master table is only in the 3rd position. The same occurs also for other items.

In my use case, I would like to use the featured table in order to help buiness users handle with organzational data, thus:

- bringing inprecise, manually entered data, into a structrued format
 - looking up other attributes like hierarchy level, telephone number etc.

The more names I have to match in this way, the more powerful this feature is of course. On the other side, if the user has to click through hundreds of cells and choose the right outcome manually, the value is significantly lower.

Screen Capture Excel.gif

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors