Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

Hambach
Frequent Visitor

Excel with Power BI data crashes for free users

Hi everyone,

I, as a Power BI Pro user, created an excel file, that has a bit of data from my Power BI dataset in pivot tables through "Get Data -> From Power Bi". Then I uploaded this excel file to sharepoint and shared it with my colleagues, who are normal free users or not invovled with Power BI at all.

It was my understanding they could still access and work normally in this excel file, just not refresh the pivot tables, since they have no access to my Power BI workspace.

And if they open the sharepoint file in browser or teams, it seems to work, but as soon as they open it in the desktop app, excel crashes for them.

Am I wrong in my understanding or is there another issue at hand?

Thank you for your help!

6 REPLIES 6
Hazenm
Advocate II
Advocate II

@Hambach  did you ever find a solution? 
I'm having this same issue with users that have licenses. About a third of my users, who all have licenses, get random crashing whenever using my Power BI Excel files. Tried disabling background refreshes on all of the connections to no avail. 

Hi, unforutnately not 😞 Same issue still. If you ever find a solution, let me know. Will do likewise.

Will do. I meant to say, the trick for having users opening file in Teams or Browser is working, at least!

rubayatyasmin
Super User
Super User

@Hambach 

these answers should be helpful

Excel file closes immediately/crashes when opened from SharePoint - Microsoft Community

Excel desktop app crashes when opening file from sharepoint online - Microsoft Community

rubayatyasmin_0-1689517080227.png

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!super-user-logo

Proud to be a Super User!

Thank you for your quick reply, but unfortunately these did not work.

Hambach
Frequent Visitor

And some people can open and edit it, but excel crashes when they hit save

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

Top Solution Authors