Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

Jtms7

Enforcing git integration via API

I am looking around for any ideas on how to solve the issue. Any leads are appreciated.

I would like to streamline the setup we have with git integration (ADO repo <-> Power BI Workspace). For that, I wanted to use the MS Fabric API calls: Commit to Git and Update from Git. We normally have a dedicated service principal to use for such automations but I understand that these specific items are not allowed to use by SPs. I confirmed this by running a test and getting an error: PrincipalTypeNotSupported. Fine.

Thus, we have created a technical user account and I am able to use it to call various other API functions but not the git integration ones. The error this time is: GitProviderResourceNotFound. The user account has admin permissions on the workspace and is added to the ADO project where the repo resides.

Interestingly, Git Connection API call works fine (as well as non-git Fabric API calls like Get Report Definition or something) but Git Status and the other 2 I need, do not.

Has anyone had any success with this?

4 REPLIES 4
v-linyulu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi,@Jtms7 

First, the fact that the API calls about your Git Connection work fine, but the Git Status, Commit to Git, and Update from Git calls don't, suggests that the problem may be related to the way the API accesses or recognizes the repository.

You can try the following steps:

1.First of all, you can directly check the cause of your connection status error, and then find the corresponding solution through the reason.

vlinyulumsft_0-1715751260155.png

Each item has one of the following statuses:

Synced :the item is the same in the workspace and Git branch

Conflict :the item was changed in both the workspace and Git branch

Resolve conflicts with Git integration - Microsoft Fabric | Microsoft Learn

Unsupported item: Your branch name may be over the maximum name length (244 characters), or in other cases, more information can be found in the link I gave below.

Git integration process - Microsoft Fabric | Microsoft Learn

Uncommitted changes in the workspace

Update required from Git

Item is identical in both places but needs to be updated to the last commit

2.Check to see if your files hit git sync and commit limits or branch and folder limits.

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/fabric/cicd/git-integration/git-integration-process#branch-and-fol...

3.Here is a link to the relevant documentation, which I hope will be helpful:

Automate Git integration by using APIs and Azure DevOps - Microsoft Fabric | Microsoft Learn

Power BI REST APIs for embedded analytics and automation - Power BI REST API | Microsoft Learn

Manage a workspace with Git. - Microsoft Fabric | Microsoft Learn

Manual updates with Git integration - Microsoft Fabric | Microsoft Learn

Best Regards,

Leroy Lu

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thanks for responding.

I don't have a full understanding of the issue yet but your ideas made me think of something. Because we cannot use a service principal and we use a standard account instead, that account would likely need all proper licenses and perhaps there is a gap currently. Could you confirm what is required? I assume it could be a Pro or PPU license for Power BI and a non-free license for ADO (the free one does not include repos).

Hi,@Jtms7 

Thank you very much for your response.

1.First of all, you are correct that Git integration does require a Premium license, and once the license expires, it will no longer be possible to connect to a Git repository.

Please check if your current state is the same as described in the documentation.Below are links to the relevant documentation:

Git integration license change - Microsoft Fabric | Microsoft Learn

2.According to the documentation, it is recommended that you upgrade to premium licenses, but only if you consult with your organization's administrators to allocate license purchases based on the needs of your business.

Based on this scenario, you can proceed with the purchase of a licensing solution that corresponds to the needs of your organization:

You can find out your current license type by following the link below:

Types of licenses for Power BI business users - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

The links below are the differences between the various licenses:

Power BI service features by license type - Power BI | Microsoft Learn
The following links are suggestions on how to purchase a license:

Purchase Power BI and assign licenses - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

Best Regards,

Leroy Lu

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thanks.

In this scenario, we use a PPU workspace and all the actual devs do have Premium Per User assigned to them.

The question is only about an automation account (again, not using a service principal because it is disabled for these API endpoints). If the account is used only to trigger Commit to Git and Update from Git via API, it still needs the PPU license I assume? Also, is an Azure Dev Ops license mandatory in this scenario?

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Top Solution Authors