Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

onepowerbiguy
Frequent Visitor

Embed a paginated report with RLS and CUSTOMDATA dataset shows error regarding CSDL.

I want to embed a paginated report into my client portal. I'm using a Service Principal to generate the embed token. I have a Dataset with RLS and using CUSTOMDATA I would like to pass the Categories available for the user (and apply RLS with those categories).

The thing is, I can make it work with a Power BI report, but when I try to use a paginated report I get this message:

onepowerbiguy_0-1682428679857.png

I'm really lost, I'm not sure what I'm missing. Please let me know if there is more information I should include.

POST request to generate embed token:

{
  "accessLevel": "View",
	"datasets": [
    {
      "id": "my_dataset_with_rls_id",
      "xmlaPermissions": "ReadOnly"
    }
  ],
	"reports": [
    {
      "id": "my_paginated_report_id"
    }
  ],
  "identities": [
    {
      "username": "user@contoso.com",
      "roles": ["role_by_category"],
      "customData": "category_1",
			"datasets": ["my_dataset_with_rls_id"]
    }
  ]
}

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
onepowerbiguy
Frequent Visitor

I solved the puzzle. The thing is, if you want to use paginated reports, the dataset can't use RLS. Instead, to achieve RLS-like behavior, you should use the username attribute in the embedToken request and the built-in field 'User!ID' in the report builder expression.

Here's an example of an 'embedToken' request:

Endpoint: https://api.powerbi.com/v1.0/myorg/GenerateToken

{
    {
      "id": "dataset_with_no_rls_id",
    }
  ],
 {
  "id": "report_connected_to_dataset_id"
 }
 ],
 {
  "username": "constraint_value",
		"report_connected_to_dataset_id"
	]
 }
 ]
}

Also, it's important to note that in order to use this approach, you must connect to the dataset using the XMLA endpoint. Otherwise, it won't work.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
onepowerbiguy
Frequent Visitor

I solved the puzzle. The thing is, if you want to use paginated reports, the dataset can't use RLS. Instead, to achieve RLS-like behavior, you should use the username attribute in the embedToken request and the built-in field 'User!ID' in the report builder expression.

Here's an example of an 'embedToken' request:

Endpoint: https://api.powerbi.com/v1.0/myorg/GenerateToken

{
    {
      "id": "dataset_with_no_rls_id",
    }
  ],
 {
  "id": "report_connected_to_dataset_id"
 }
 ],
 {
  "username": "constraint_value",
		"report_connected_to_dataset_id"
	]
 }
 ]
}

Also, it's important to note that in order to use this approach, you must connect to the dataset using the XMLA endpoint. Otherwise, it won't work.

Jon-Heide
Employee
Employee

Could you confirm if the paginated report was created in PowerBI Report Builder, or in the web portal authoring experience? Exportable Formatted Data Tables (Preview) | Microsoft Power BI Blog | Microsoft Power BI

First, thanks for your response. And yes, It was created on the web portal.

After your question, I created a paginated report using Report Builder and error has gone! Thanks for that. Paginated report loads now, but the thing is, customdata is not applied.

CUSTOMDATA still not filtering my data in the paginated report (role_by_category has a very simple rls condition):

[Category] = CUSTOMDATA()

If I run a Power BI Report, CUSTOMDATA works as expected (showing just category_1). But I can't replicate that behaiour in the paginated version.

Thanks!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Top Solution Authors