Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

cbschley
Helper III
Helper III

Edit Audience Members Disappear after Update?

I've published an app with two audiences. One Audience contains the entire company, the second audience contains 7 specific members. After publishing, when I go back into republish (lets say I had to make an update), it appears that those 7 users are no longer listed in the box. 

Does that mean I mean to edit this audience every time I want to publish? Or are those users somehow already applied?

Here's a screenshot of what the section looks like after I've already published, and then went back in to republish:

cbschley_0-1691167651313.png

10 REPLIES 10
sergej_og
Super User
Super User

Hi @cbschley,
are these 7 users part of your organization?
Or are these external users - e.g. users from another company?

@sergej_og these users are part of my organization, internal employees.

2 additional questions for my better undestanding.

1. you wrote about 2 audiences for yout app.
quote: "One Audience contains the entire company, the second audience contains 7 specific members".
Why add additional 7 if they are already in the other distribution list (entire company).
2. quote: "Or are those users somehow already applied?"
Maybe you are right at this place.
What do your 7 users say regarding the accessibility of the report?
Do they see your report?

Hi @sergej_og , the additional 7 users would be considered more of an "admin" group, that have access to a few extra reports. Which is why I thought I could use the Audience's feature, and essentially expose those additional reports to only this audience.

The 7 users are saying they can see the additional reports, but the problem is that there are users who are not a part of this group who can also see the new reports in a test I ran. I think that is because both Audience's have "Workspace users" in the audience list. I was hoping to be able to parse that out.

Have you ran into a similar situation where you needed to separate access within the same App?

aj1973
Community Champion
Community Champion

@cbschley 
End users are not supposed to access the Workspace in general. Therefore you will need to limit access to Workspaces only to contributors or who ever is helping you to build the final product. Once the product is ready the you publish it to App and End users consume it in Apps.

Regards
Amine Jerbi

If I answered your question, please mark this thread as accepted
and you can follow me on
My Website, LinkedIn and Facebook

@cbschley 
Exactly.
You have to mange the access to your app, not to workspace.
Remove workspace access and give only App access for end-users.
I agree with @aj1973 

aj1973
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @cbschley 

This should answer your questions

aj1973_0-1691253019287.png

no you don't need to edit the audiences every time you re publish the App. Like in the image go to Manage permissions to see the groups you gave access to.

Regards
Amine Jerbi

and you can follow me on

@aj1973 , Unfortunately this doesn't really address/resolve the problem. When you click on "Manage Permissions", you get taken to this page below, which is different than specifying the audience. I'm not interested in giving access to "groups", but instead, individual people within the Audiences section.

cbschley_0-1691367548007.png

Furthermore, when you click on "Manage Audiences" from this page, I get re-routed to the "Update App" page, where my users are no longer included in the Audience list.

aj1973
Community Champion
Community Champion

@cbschley 

If the 7 specific members are already in the group of the Entire company and those 7 users are granted access to the same report as the Entire company then it's normal that you don't see them 

Regards
Amine Jerbi

and you can follow me on

@aj1973 - It turns out that all users in my workspace are automatically granted access to the App. So as it turns out, we will need to remove all users from the workspace, and then add them individually via the App Audiences feature. This will give us more flexibility in the long-run.

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors