Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

issyworrall
Advocate I
Advocate I

Drillthrough option not showing in context menu for users

Hi all, I have enabled cross-report drillthrough between two reports published on the Power BI Service. When I (report owner) right click on the table in the source report, I can see the drillthrough option and it works perfectly, drilling through to the target report. 

My users cannot see the drillthrough option when they right click on a value in the table visual and I cannot figure out why! They have read-only permissions for both reports, and are viewing the source report in Chrome. The source report is published in an app workspace (not yet published to the app) and the target report is published in the same workspace and also published in the app. Can anyone advise?

My view:

issyworrall_0-1665478069047.png

My users' view (apologies for quality!):

Image redacted.jpg

Many thanks!  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-xiaosun-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @issyworrall ,

According to your description, here is my suggestion.

Please mind the limitations of using cross-report drillthrough as below.

1, You can't drill through cross-report for a shared with me report that is shared separately. To use cross-report drill through, you must access the reports in the workspace to which you belong.

2, Power BI caches drill through targets across reports. After you make your changes, if you don't see the expected drill through targets, make sure to refresh your browser.

3, Cross-report drill through does not work in Power BI reports in Power BI Report Server.

Please refer to the following document.

Use cross-report drillthrough in Power BI Desktop - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ xiaosun

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
PakthurYangu
Helper I
Helper I

I was facing the problem that for some users cross-report drillthrough context menu worked and others didn't.

Short answer
:

Solution 1) Grant viewer permission to the user at the Workspace level

Solution 2) Publish both reports in the Workspace App

Long answer:

Take a look at this article

v-xiaosun-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @issyworrall ,

According to your description, here is my suggestion.

Please mind the limitations of using cross-report drillthrough as below.

1, You can't drill through cross-report for a shared with me report that is shared separately. To use cross-report drill through, you must access the reports in the workspace to which you belong.

2, Power BI caches drill through targets across reports. After you make your changes, if you don't see the expected drill through targets, make sure to refresh your browser.

3, Cross-report drill through does not work in Power BI reports in Power BI Report Server.

Please refer to the following document.

Use cross-report drillthrough in Power BI Desktop - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ xiaosun

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-xiaosun-msft,

Thanks so much for your reply! It is likely to do with the workspace permissions/the source report not being published to the app yet then - I will have a play around and see if I can resolve the issue!

All the best, Issy 

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors