Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

lukeyin96690

Downloading a .pbix file after deployment isn't supported - consider improvement?

I'm using the deployment pipelines function under the Fabric account at the moment. 

I encountered this issue from the MS documentation 

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/fabric/cicd/deployment-pipelines/understand-the-deployment-process

stating '- Downloading a .pbix file after deployment isn't supported'; does this mean when a report hits the Prod stage and is shared with the user the user would not be able to download a pbix.? Isn't that a shame a user cannot download a pbix. file from the Prod workspace if this is the case? 

I hope the developer of Power BI can see this post and maybe do something to fix this defect. 

Really appreciate. 

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
3CloudThomas
Super User
Super User

The point of having a Dev/Test/Prod deployment pipeline, is to help with change management. The developer of a pbix would only every deplay from the Power BI Desktop to the Dev workspace. The movement of the dev pbix file to Tes would enable testers to validate the new development. Once approved, it moves to the Prod environment where no one should be making changes. The deployment would change the connection from a Dev database, to a test database to a Prod database. An end user should never be able to connect a pbix file to a production database. That is why you use a deployment pipeline.

If the end user needs a pbix file, then the developer could send a file to the end user, BUT can that use connect to the data source? If no, then the development data is all they should see.

View solution in original post

ibarrau
Super User
Super User

Hi. In my opinion it's ok. Not a shame at all. A regular users shouldn't be able to get that easy production data to play with, that would be an issue for security and data silos.

Anyway, coming back to the question, as an alternative you can use the git integration feature. If you syncronize your workspace with a repo, you will have access to the development source in order to open the PowerBi Project at Power Bi Desktop.

I hope that helps,

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Happy to help!

LaDataWeb Blog

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
ibarrau
Super User
Super User

Hi. In my opinion it's ok. Not a shame at all. A regular users shouldn't be able to get that easy production data to play with, that would be an issue for security and data silos.

Anyway, coming back to the question, as an alternative you can use the git integration feature. If you syncronize your workspace with a repo, you will have access to the development source in order to open the PowerBi Project at Power Bi Desktop.

I hope that helps,

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Happy to help!

LaDataWeb Blog

3CloudThomas
Super User
Super User

The point of having a Dev/Test/Prod deployment pipeline, is to help with change management. The developer of a pbix would only every deplay from the Power BI Desktop to the Dev workspace. The movement of the dev pbix file to Tes would enable testers to validate the new development. Once approved, it moves to the Prod environment where no one should be making changes. The deployment would change the connection from a Dev database, to a test database to a Prod database. An end user should never be able to connect a pbix file to a production database. That is why you use a deployment pipeline.

If the end user needs a pbix file, then the developer could send a file to the end user, BUT can that use connect to the data source? If no, then the development data is all they should see.

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors