Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

Whatever1
Helper I
Helper I

Deployment Pipeline: Production Different From Test

Yesterday someone made a change to a report and published it to the Test Workspace. I tested it and deployed to Production. However, in production one of the visuals was different from Test.

The difference was in a matrix visual. There are four levels but in Production we could only see the bottom two. The top two didn't show.

For both of us everything worked fine in Desktop and the Test Workspace but had the same issue in Production.

I finally published directly from Desktop to the Production Workspace and it was fine. But that defeats the purpose of using a pipeline.

Any idea why the deployed report would be different in Production than Test?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-rongtiep-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Whatever1 ,

When testing, you can use the same capacity as the production stage. However, this can make production unstable during load testing. To avoid unstable production, use another capacity similar in resources to the production capacity, for testing. To avoid extra costs, you can use Azure A capacities to pay only for the testing time.

vpollymsft_0-1665716021937.png

More details: Best practices for deployment pipelines, the Power BI Application lifecycle management (ALM) tool - ...

Deployment pipelines, the Power BI Application lifecycle management (ALM) tool, process - Power BI |...

Best Regards

Community Support Team _ Polly

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Whatever1
Helper I
Helper I

@v-rongtiep-msft 

We do use the same capacity for both Test and Production, but testing was complete before we deployed so that wasn't the issue.

However, the link you included had what I think is the answer. It says "The dataset refresh is required because data isn't copied from one stage to another." One of the changes was to the query for the matrix visual with the issue. The reason we couldn't see the top two levels was because the new fields didn't exist in the old dataset. 

We will put it in our process to refresh the dataset after deploying if there were and changes to the dataset.

Thank You

v-rongtiep-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Whatever1 ,

When testing, you can use the same capacity as the production stage. However, this can make production unstable during load testing. To avoid unstable production, use another capacity similar in resources to the production capacity, for testing. To avoid extra costs, you can use Azure A capacities to pay only for the testing time.

vpollymsft_0-1665716021937.png

More details: Best practices for deployment pipelines, the Power BI Application lifecycle management (ALM) tool - ...

Deployment pipelines, the Power BI Application lifecycle management (ALM) tool, process - Power BI |...

Best Regards

Community Support Team _ Polly

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Top Solution Authors