Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

gkir
Advocate I
Advocate I

Default tooltip text colours different from desktop

Hello,

There is an issue after updates in the Power BI service.

I haven't made any changes to my reports. However, recently, I noticed that tooltips on matrix visuals in the service are not displaying text. That is because the default colors of the tooltips have changed to the same colour as tooltip background. There was no issue earlier. I have over 100 reports with a lot of matrix visuals. It is not a solution to change every table at all.

In Power bi desktop everything is good:

gkir_0-1715773607527.png

gkir_3-1715773776754.png

But in Power bi service my clients can't see full text in the matrix

gkir_1-1715773652321.png

gkir_2-1715773730681.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
PJGreen
Regular Visitor

I noticed a similar issue last week, as it seems the new "Modern visual tooltip" format with drill actions & different default colors is now showing up in some (but not all) of my reports in the Service... but yet I had not changed any of my reports (either in Desktop or the Service) to use the Modern tooltips yet, nor had I republished any reports or apps. 

Looking at the "Settings" for these reports within their respective Workpaces, I was able to see that the "Modern visual tooltip" option was flipped to "ON" somehow (maybe from a recent Power BI Service release?).  I toggled that option back OFF, saved the settings for the report and then viewing the report within that workspace it now showed my original tooltip again (with original colors and no drill actions).  I then updated my related App, to push the setting out to the report in the App, so now the tooltips for that report appear in their original format again.

PJGreen_0-1715789024275.png

I'm not sure if I will revert this setting on each report or not yet, as it seems Microsoft may be pushing for GA of the Modern tooltip option (which has been in preview for a few years), so I might decide to leave the new look in place.  At least my tooltips were not white on white default colors, so they are still visible.  But it's the visibility of the "drill up/down" actions on the Modern tooltip format that I'm not sure I like, or want to see, as I purposefully hid those drill options from the visual header icons (so end-users can't use them), but I don't think there is a way to hide them from being part of the modern tooltip.

Hope this helps others running into this new tooltip issue.  

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
PJGreen
Regular Visitor

I noticed a similar issue last week, as it seems the new "Modern visual tooltip" format with drill actions & different default colors is now showing up in some (but not all) of my reports in the Service... but yet I had not changed any of my reports (either in Desktop or the Service) to use the Modern tooltips yet, nor had I republished any reports or apps. 

Looking at the "Settings" for these reports within their respective Workpaces, I was able to see that the "Modern visual tooltip" option was flipped to "ON" somehow (maybe from a recent Power BI Service release?).  I toggled that option back OFF, saved the settings for the report and then viewing the report within that workspace it now showed my original tooltip again (with original colors and no drill actions).  I then updated my related App, to push the setting out to the report in the App, so now the tooltips for that report appear in their original format again.

PJGreen_0-1715789024275.png

I'm not sure if I will revert this setting on each report or not yet, as it seems Microsoft may be pushing for GA of the Modern tooltip option (which has been in preview for a few years), so I might decide to leave the new look in place.  At least my tooltips were not white on white default colors, so they are still visible.  But it's the visibility of the "drill up/down" actions on the Modern tooltip format that I'm not sure I like, or want to see, as I purposefully hid those drill options from the visual header icons (so end-users can't use them), but I don't think there is a way to hide them from being part of the modern tooltip.

Hope this helps others running into this new tooltip issue.  

nandic
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

@gkir i would like to have more optimistic solution, but it seems to be a bug.
Here is another discussion on tooltips colors in service: https://community.fabric.microsoft.com/t5/Service/Default-tooltips-blank-only-on-service/m-p/3903062 

Contacting support might be the first step, but it seems that manual fix would be (believe it or not) the fastest option if it is "just" changing background color in tooltip visual.

Cheers,
Nemanja Andic

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Top Solution Authors