Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Sgb1201
Helper I
Helper I

Dataset is refreshing, but the visuals in the related dashboard need to manually update to match

Hey, 

I created some visuals using data from an SQL-server in the PowerBI desktop version. I uploaded the file, set up scheduled refresh for the dataset and linked the report to a dashboard. Now, the scheduled refresh works just fine, but the visuals in the dashboard are not updating unless I manually click refresh (f5, etc.) on the page. To my understanding, it should be possible to set up a scheduled refresh for the dashboard itself, so that I don't need to manually refresh the dashboard everytime the data refreshes to update the visuals? 

Am I wrong in this? Or what could the problem be? 

Apologies if any information is needed, etc. 

Any help/responses are much appreciated. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-tangjie-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Sgb1201 ,

To my knowledge, if you change the visual type in the report after you pinned it to your dashboard, the dashboard tile does not automatically update. 

When you pin an entire page, the tiles are live. That is, you can interact with them there on the dashboard. Changes you make to any of the visualizations in the report editor, like adding a filter or changing the fields used in the chart, are reflected in the dashboard tile as well.

After the dataset is refreshed, the dashboard tiles will be basiclly refreshed within 15 minutes. You can also force tile refresh by selecting Refresh dashboard tiles.

Whether you use RLS in your dataset, RLS will add a tile for each user, which will also cause slow refresh or even problems.

Refer to:

Change the type of visualization in a report - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

Data refresh in Power BI - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

Pin a tile to a Power BI dashboard from a report - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

Best Regards,

Neeko Tang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
v-tangjie-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Sgb1201 ,

To my knowledge, if you change the visual type in the report after you pinned it to your dashboard, the dashboard tile does not automatically update. 

When you pin an entire page, the tiles are live. That is, you can interact with them there on the dashboard. Changes you make to any of the visualizations in the report editor, like adding a filter or changing the fields used in the chart, are reflected in the dashboard tile as well.

After the dataset is refreshed, the dashboard tiles will be basiclly refreshed within 15 minutes. You can also force tile refresh by selecting Refresh dashboard tiles.

Whether you use RLS in your dataset, RLS will add a tile for each user, which will also cause slow refresh or even problems.

Refer to:

Change the type of visualization in a report - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

Data refresh in Power BI - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

Pin a tile to a Power BI dashboard from a report - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

Best Regards,

Neeko Tang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

Top Solution Authors