Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

samgreene1
Resolver I
Resolver I

Dataset Refresh Problem

Hi,

I have a dataset that is refreshed multiple times per day.  The first refresh of the day is consistently failing.  It fails on different queries each time. The refresh is through our data gateway against a SQL Server data warehouse.  Refreshes from the desktop app always work in a minute or two. 

I have reference information from the error message available. 

Thanks,

Sam

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @samgreene1 

That then means that there is an issue with the underlying dataset in the morning.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
v-yangliu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi  @samgreene1 ,

For the SQL Server Connector in Power BI, it has a default timeout value limit of 10 minutes, which is mentioned in the official documentation of the Power BI SQL Server Connector. So there will be random errors when the data is refreshed:

Power Query SQL Server connector - Power Query | Microsoft Learn

Please try to set the timeout time for this connection when you connect to SQL Server Database with Power BI Desktop.

vyangliumsft_0-1689584908520.png

This is the related document, you can view this content:

Solved: Microsoft SQL: Execution Timeout Expired Error whi... - Microsoft Fabric Community

Solved: Microsoft SQL: Execution Timeout Expired - Microsoft Fabric Community

Timeout expired messages when connecting to SQL Server - SQL Server | Microsoft Learn

Best Regards,

Liu Yang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

After updating the timeout to 15 minutes, there is still a failure - but only in the morning. 

Hi @samgreene1 

That then means that there is an issue with the underlying dataset in the morning.

Power BI Blog

Thanks for the suggestion. I have set the timeout to 15 minutes, however, I don't expect this to have a positive result as the report normally takes 1 minute 30 seconds to refresh.  

samgreene1
Resolver I
Resolver I

Data source error: {"error":{"code":"DM_GWPipeline_Gateway_MashupDataAccessError","pbi.error":{"code":"DM_GWPipeline_Gateway_MashupDataAccessError","parameters":{},"details":[{"code":"DM_ErrorDetailNameCode_UnderlyingErrorCode","detail":{"type":1,"value":"-2147467259"}},{"code":"DM_ErrorDetailNameCode_UnderlyingErrorMessage","detail":{"type":1,"value":"Microsoft SQL: Execution Timeout Expired. The timeout period elapsed prior to completion of the operation or the server is not responding."}},{"code":"DM_ErrorDetailNameCode_UnderlyingHResult","detail":{"type":1,"value":"-2147467259"}},{"code":"Microsoft.Data.Mashup.ValueError.Class","detail":{"type":1,"value":"11"}},{"code":"Microsoft.Data.Mashup.ValueError.DataSourceKind","detail":{"type":1,"value":"SQL"}},{"code":"Microsoft.Data.Mashup.ValueError.DataSourcePath","detail":{"type":1,"value":"<REDACTED SERVER>;<REDACTED DB>"}},{"code":"Microsoft.Data.Mashup.ValueError.ErrorCode","detail":{"type":1,"value":"-2146232060"}},{"code":"Microsoft.Data.Mashup.ValueError.Message","detail":{"type":1,"value":"Execution Timeout Expired. The timeout period elapsed prior to completion of the operation or the server is not responding."}},{"code":"Microsoft.Data.Mashup.ValueError.Number","detail":{"type":1,"value":"-2"}},{"code":"Microsoft.Data.Mashup.ValueError.Reason","detail":{"type":1,"value":"DataSource.Error"}}],"exceptionCulprit":1}}} Table: ConfigurationItem.

GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @samgreene1 

If you could post the error message that would be ideal.

Also can you make sure that if you log in from your gateway that it can successfully connect to the SQL Server from the Gateway server?

Power BI Blog

I posted the message.  The gateway tests fine and on-demand refreshes always seem to work as well as refreshes 2-4 of the day. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Top Solution Authors