Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

shyammayhs
Advocate II
Advocate II

Dataset Owner - who should own it?

Hi guys, I am in the early stages of PBI deployment and it seems unclear to who should be the owner of datasets on our environment we will have one day.

For example, we would like to have pre-created Data Models saved as Datasets in a workspace, is it fine for me to be the owner of these? or should it be a Service Account which is the owner?

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
sirlanceohlott
Advocate III
Advocate III

I'd move forward with the service account pathway as this would allow for the easiest transition if someone were to leave the organization it wouldn't require an audit to see what reports are going to break which would hinder availability. 

If the concern is with data refresh failures you can add yourself as well as other team members as individuals who need to receive notifications when something is wrong.

One thing you'll have to do though is have a Power BI Pro or Power BI Premium Per User license on the service account and that would be the account you'll need to log into if you there is any adjustments you need to make to the dataset.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
sirlanceohlott
Advocate III
Advocate III

I'd move forward with the service account pathway as this would allow for the easiest transition if someone were to leave the organization it wouldn't require an audit to see what reports are going to break which would hinder availability. 

If the concern is with data refresh failures you can add yourself as well as other team members as individuals who need to receive notifications when something is wrong.

One thing you'll have to do though is have a Power BI Pro or Power BI Premium Per User license on the service account and that would be the account you'll need to log into if you there is any adjustments you need to make to the dataset.

arvindsingh802
Super User
Super User

Any developer including you can be the dataset owner.

I would not recommand it but if you want to use a service account to be a owner then that service account should also have Power BI Pro license

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution, Appreciate your Kudos!

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution, Appreciate your Kudos!!
Proud to be a Super User!!

Hi @arvindsingh802 , thanks for your reply.

Why do you not recommend using a serivce account for Dataset ownership? I understand that the account would also need a Pro license, but I would like to understand the other Pros and Cons of it.

Thanks.

Only benefite of using service account is removing dependency of user account so if they move out things do not break, ususally it would automatcally taken care by person who will be repalcement of that user

Con - With service account you will not be able to identify who made changes to the dataset/report if there are multiple users using that to publish it

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution, Appreciate your Kudos!

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution, Appreciate your Kudos!!
Proud to be a Super User!!

How would it automatically be taken care of by the person taking over if a user leaves the organisation? Curious to understand this! Thanks

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Top Solution Authors