Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

IpasAdmin
Frequent Visitor

Dataflows and Azure SQL

We are trying to create a dataflow in Power BI online, using an Azure SQL server as a datasource.

We can connect to the Azure SQL datasource using AAD or SQL auth, using SSMS, Power BI, Power Apps, Power Query desktop.

When, in Power BI Online, we attempt to create a new dataflow, using the same Azure SQL server as source, we consistently get an error : "Connection could not be created. This may mean it is not accessible from this network or at this URI, or that a gateway is required to access this data source."

We have tried all variations of the successful credentials used in other Power Query editors, this seems to be an issue when creating a dataflow in Power BI online specifically.

Has anyone else experienced this? Any ideas or suggestions?

IpasAdmin_0-1703606340917.png

4 REPLIES 4
aj1973
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @IpasAdmin 

No need to add credentials to create a Dataflow

aj1973_0-1703607651231.png

Put organizational account instead

aj1973_1-1703607951396.png

Regards
Amine Jerbi

If I answered your question, please mark this thread as accepted
and you can follow me on
My Website, LinkedIn and Facebook

We have done this; we have tried authentication using SQL auth, as well as a Windows user account. No effect.

The same configuration works fine when we create a dataflow with an Azure SQL server connection in PowerApps, just not when we create a dataflow in a PowerBI workspace.

The same config also works as a direct Power BI datasource.

aj1973
Community Champion
Community Champion

Is creating Dataflows in power bi service allowed by the Tenant? Please check it out with Power BI Admin.

Regards
Amine Jerbi

If I answered your question, please mark this thread as accepted
and you can follow me on
My Website, LinkedIn and Facebook

Yes, ceating dataflows is allowed. Dataflow creation seems to operate as expected, except when attempting to reach Azure SQL server, when creating a Power BI Online dataflow.

"Connection could not be created. This may mean it is not accessible from this network or at this URI, or that a gateway is required to access this data source."

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Top Solution Authors