Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

jsconcepcion
Regular Visitor

Dataflow Gen2 and nested tables

Im working on a Power BI report development project and the main data source is a datalake which I connect via ODATA. I have setup few dataflows for it. Ive read the documentation and found out that the best practice is to separate the staging from the transformation layers. 

So I created a staging one where I load some tables from the datalake without any steps/transformations after. Then I created a second dataflow and point to the staging one as a reference. Now from here, I noticed that all columns that contains nested tables are gone. After I publish the dataflow and come back later, an additional step was automatically added that removes all columns with nested tables. I really need those columns

How can I implement the best practice if this is the case? Do I need to load absolutelty all tables from the datalake for the nested columns to not disappear?  There are about 1000+ tables and we dont need all those data, only a handful.

Thanks for reading,

Justine

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

After I publish the dataflow and come back later, an additional step was automatically added that removes all columns with nested tables. I really need those columns

in order to be used in a dataflow or dataset semantic model the result of a Power Query must be in tabular format and must contain only basic column types.  No objects (like nested tables) are permitted.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

After I publish the dataflow and come back later, an additional step was automatically added that removes all columns with nested tables. I really need those columns

in order to be used in a dataflow or dataset semantic model the result of a Power Query must be in tabular format and must contain only basic column types.  No objects (like nested tables) are permitted.

I can see that now. Thank you!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors