Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

SnoekL
Helper II
Helper II

DataFlow Gen2 issue We couldn't convert to Date.

I'm loading data from a on-premise Gupta database using ODBC with DataFlow Gen2

It's working fine until I try to make it an incremental refresh using the last date from the already loaded table.

I'm extracting the data from the warehouse with:

SnoekL_0-1702373485547.png

This seems to be working fine.

I'm using a native query and I use the output of the first query as a value (VW_INCR_DATE) in the sql native query

SnoekL_2-1702374261295.png

In the dataflow (when editing) it seems to be working. The results are showing correct. 

But the issue shows up when the dataflow runs.

SnoekL_3-1702374595189.png

I don't understand this issue. Is anyone able to help me with this issue?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

The VW_INCR_DATE value is coming from the warehouse and is the last date for which the data is already loaded. That is not from the source.

View solution in original post

SnoekL
Helper II
Helper II

I found the solution. The query which extracts the Date value from the warehouse should have "enable staging" false to get it working. Not sure why though :).

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
SnoekL
Helper II
Helper II

I found the solution. The query which extracts the Date value from the warehouse should have "enable staging" false to get it working. Not sure why though :).

aj1973
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @SnoekL 

Dosen't look like implemented refresh is implemented the right way. Please refer to this

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/connect-data/incremental-refresh-overview

Regards
Amine Jerbi

If I answered your question, please mark this thread as accepted
and you can follow me on
My Website, LinkedIn and Facebook

aj1973, the topic you are referring to is actually the one I used to build my incremental refresh.

Big difference though is that the example has sql database as a source where I'm connecting via odbc to a local database. 

And the example has a datekey in the source which is a integer where my source only has a datetime field to use to get the incremental data.

I tried to convert the source data to different datatypes but than I get different errors as well.  So i'm stuck at the moment.

aj1973
Community Champion
Community Champion

When connecting to ODBC

aj1973_0-1702390165737.png

Add a SQL statement to convert/cast this part 

aj1973_1-1702390251973.png

to Date before loading into Power Query Online.

Power Query couldn't accept to add a step to Format that column so try with SQL statement, it should work.

Regards
Amine Jerbi

If I answered your question, please mark this thread as accepted
and you can follow me on
My Website, LinkedIn and Facebook

The VW_INCR_DATE value is coming from the warehouse and is the last date for which the data is already loaded. That is not from the source.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

Top Solution Authors