Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Pricey79
Helper V
Helper V

Create Dataflow from a Direct Query Table

Hello

I was hoping someone could help me please.

I have a table in my desktop file thats a direct query(I dont want it to be direct query, but I cant change it, so it is what it is)

Can I(and how if yes) create a Dataflow for somone else to use from this direct query please?

Thank you for any hlep

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-binbinyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Pricey79 ,

Creating a Dataflow from a DirectQuery table in Power BI Desktop isn't directly possible because Dataflows are designed to ingest data from various data sources and store it in the Power BI service, whereas DirectQuery is a connection method that queries the data source in real-time without storing the data in Power BI.

You could create a dataflow in Power BI Service Portal with the datasource,  if you data source is on-premises, you also need install and configure standard mode gateway.

vbinbinyumsft_0-1702449502513.png

For more details, you could read related document:  Creating a dataflow - Power BI | Microsoft Learn ,  Use a personal gateway in Power BI - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

Best regards,
Community Support Team_Binbin Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-binbinyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Pricey79 ,

Creating a Dataflow from a DirectQuery table in Power BI Desktop isn't directly possible because Dataflows are designed to ingest data from various data sources and store it in the Power BI service, whereas DirectQuery is a connection method that queries the data source in real-time without storing the data in Power BI.

You could create a dataflow in Power BI Service Portal with the datasource,  if you data source is on-premises, you also need install and configure standard mode gateway.

vbinbinyumsft_0-1702449502513.png

For more details, you could read related document:  Creating a dataflow - Power BI | Microsoft Learn ,  Use a personal gateway in Power BI - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

Best regards,
Community Support Team_Binbin Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

aj1973
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @Pricey79 

It is not possible because you would need a Personal Gateway installed in your machine and and external user can't access it.

Regards
Amine Jerbi

If I answered your question, please mark this thread as accepted
and you can follow me on
My Website, LinkedIn and Facebook

@aj1973   Thank you for taking the time to reply.

Do I have any other options?

aj1973
Community Champion
Community Champion

Yes, Upload your file to a shared Online service like OneDrive or Sharepoint.

Regards
Amine Jerbi

If I answered your question, please mark this thread as accepted
and you can follow me on
My Website, LinkedIn and Facebook

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors