Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

mwjones61
Helper I
Helper I

Connect to a Power BI dataset from Excel as a flat table, rather than a pivot table

I want my end users to be able to connect to my Power BI dataset from their Excel Desktop. The issue is that I want the data to appear in a regular flat table, as opposed to a pivot table. This is for end users, so I want the process to be as simple as possible. Ideally, I would like to configure something behind the scenes so it will work withouth them having to do anything. Is there a way to do this without making my users jump through hoops?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @mwjones61 ,

I test it in my excel desktop, it works well.

Please refer the requirements and limitations:

vbinbinyumsft_0-1697590523661.png

vbinbinyumsft_1-1697590549229.png

Best regards,
Community Support Team_Binbin Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
v-binbinyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @mwjones61 ,

Please try to connect Power BI Dataset in the local excel desktop,

For more details, you can read related document: Power BI dataset experience in Excel - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

Best regards,
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thanks for your response! I don't seem to have the Insert Table option in my Excel desktop or Excel from the web.  My only option is to use a pivot table.  My build level for Excel desktop is 16.0.16731, which is higher than the required build level.  Would you be able to tell me why I am not seeing this Insert Table option? I assume it would allow my end users to connect to the Power BI Dataset as a flat file? Is that correct?

Hi @mwjones61 ,

I test it in my excel desktop, it works well.

Please refer the requirements and limitations:

vbinbinyumsft_0-1697590523661.png

vbinbinyumsft_1-1697590549229.png

Best regards,

I have checked with my tenant administrator and have verified that the first two requirements are fulfilled, but I still don't seem to have the Insert Table option in my Excel desktop or Excel from the web.  My only option is to use a pivot table.  

mwjones61_1-1699858018863.png

I have also verified that my build for Excel is above 16.0.

mwjones61_0-1699857936479.png

But I sill am not give the option of connecting to Excel as a Table.

mwjones61_2-1699858235989.png

DennesTorres
Post Prodigy
Post Prodigy

Hi,

I haven't tested this... but the first thing which comes to my mind is to connect from Excel to a datamart using the SQL Endpoint instead of  the default dataset.

Kind Regards,

Dennes

Thanks for your response. As I understand it, datamarts are a public preview feature in Power BI Premium (and Premium Per User). My company only has a Pro license, unfortunately.

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Top Solution Authors