Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

CoulterJames2
Frequent Visitor

Composite Models in Fabric

I'm trying to find a definitive answer on the subject of support for composite models in Fabric. I've read that composite models are not supported, which I can understand if my dataset combines data from e.g. an existing Power BI dataset and an Excel file (think of a scenario where I want to enrich a central data model with some supplementary data in the form of departmental or regional budgets or forecasts).

However, if I have an existing Fabric semantic model (based on a Lakehouse/Warehouse) and I upload my Excel file to OneLake, can I create a new semantic model that combines data from both (as long as the resultant model is published to a Fabric workspace)? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
blopez11
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

From Power BI desktop, you can live connect to a semantic model created off of a lake house, and combine with other sources.  However, queries to the semantic model (created off of the lakehouse), will fallback to DirectQuery (vs DirectLake).

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
blopez11
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

From Power BI desktop, you can live connect to a semantic model created off of a lake house, and combine with other sources.  However, queries to the semantic model (created off of the lakehouse), will fallback to DirectQuery (vs DirectLake).

SaiTejaTalasila
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

Hi,

Please create it and test it you will know whether it will work for you or not.You can think about alternate approach incase if it have any issues.

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Top Solution Authors