Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

ChrisPBIUser
Helper III
Helper III

Clarification Needed: Identifying Reports in Workspace Access Requests

Afternoon,

I've been utilising audiences in a workspace reporting app to their fullest extent, reaching the maximum allowed limit. These audiences, all comprising Active Directory security groups, have proven effective. However, an occasional issue arises when a user shares the URL of a report within their audience with colleagues who aren't part of that audience. Consequently, these colleagues end up requesting access via an request permission email dropping in our inbox frm Service.

The challenge we're facing is that when myself or other admins of the workspace receive these access requests, they lack crucial details. Specifically, the request doesn't specify which audience the report belongs to or even which report is being requested.

I'm seeking advice on how to efficiently identify the specific report that users are seeking permission for in these cases, without the obvious reply back asking the user which one.

Any insights or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @ChrisPBIUser ,

Thank you very much for your patience, your reply is very helpful to me.

When a user directly requests access permission, the email you receive will not display which audience is being requested.

To achieve this, my suggestion is that the user customizes the message when requesting access permissions and clearly states which audience he wants to access, so that you can see it when you receive the email.

vhuijieymsft_0-1708680406939.png

vhuijieymsft_1-1708680406946.png

I hope your problem has been solved successfully. If you have any other questions, please feel free to contact me.

Best Regards,
Yang
Community Support Team

If there is any post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution  to help the other members find it more quickly.
If I misunderstand your needs or you still have problems on it, please feel free to let us know. Thanks a lot!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-huijiey-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @ChrisPBIUser ,

Hope everything is going well.

Based on your description of the problem, the following is my understanding:

When receiving access requests for content such as apps, Audiences A users will share the apps with users who are not on Audiences A. He and some other work zone administrators will receive some Request Access, but they cannot determine what Audiences or wants to do what the user belongs to Which reports are visited and there are any ways or suggestions.

My suggestion has the following points:

1. According to the department or work involving content, such as the reporting group, development group, etc., the contents of the reports are different. Specific can be adjusted according to your needs.

1. Standardize the contents entered when custom access requests. Such as mailboxes, user names, the link of App.

1. You can publish your problem to Microsoft Idea  to better help us improve our functions.

These official documents may be helpful to you:

Request or grant access to dashboards or reports - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

Publish an app in Power BI - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

If you have any further questions please feel free to contact me.

Best Regards,
Yang
Community Support Team

If there is any post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution  to help the other members find it more quickly.
If I misunderstand your needs or you still have problems on it, please feel free to let us know. Thanks a lot!

Hi @v-huijiey-msft 

Nearly but I'll try to make it clearer.

Lets say I have three audiences Sales, Purchasing and Warehouse.  They have completely different reports visible in the audience and under normal circumstances neither would need to see reports in the other audiences.

However, I get users (although told not to) who send the URL to a colleagues who are in one of the other audiences who then tries to access the report but obviously doesn't have the permission so they request permission and I, as Admin, receive the request via email, see below.  However, from this email I do not know which report > audience they have requested access to unless I reply to them via this email. 

ChrisPBIUser_1-1708420351713.png

Hi @ChrisPBIUser ,

Thank you very much for your patience, your reply is very helpful to me.

When a user directly requests access permission, the email you receive will not display which audience is being requested.

To achieve this, my suggestion is that the user customizes the message when requesting access permissions and clearly states which audience he wants to access, so that you can see it when you receive the email.

vhuijieymsft_0-1708680406939.png

vhuijieymsft_1-1708680406946.png

I hope your problem has been solved successfully. If you have any other questions, please feel free to contact me.

Best Regards,
Yang
Community Support Team

@v-huijiey-msft 

Thanks for your reply.  Your solution is what I've put in place but it will fall on deaf ears and we have also communicated to users not to share URL links for reports as other users may not have access to them for a business reason (it'll be a case of other users wanting to be nosy).

Best Regards

Chris

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors