Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

JenWilson
Advocate I
Advocate I

Circular dependency in Service but not in Power BI Desktop

My reports had been running fine in workspace (updating, working from a schedule refresh, etc.) Yesterday, (01/31) three of my reports were no longer refreshing due to a circular dependency error being detected (all were related to a circular dependency - see example error message below). However, when I work in the file in Power BI Desktop, I do not have this issue and I am able to refresh the file just fine. Again, the reports were working fine as written up until yesterday. Does anyone know if something changed in the Service? 

Data source error: A circular dependency was detected: Table1[Table1], 6fcf0e60-3c80-4661-a2fc-d978d44b7357, Table1[Date], Table1[Table1].
Cluster URI: WABI-US-NORTH-CENTRAL-B-redirect.analysis.windows.net
Activity ID: 612825e6-6de9-46c8-9190-a0ac5397564c
Request ID: bb14b4ed-e579-fd76-86ff-e229c1853d1d
Time: 2024-02-01 13:54:21Z

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@v-yifanw-msft late last week the issue seemed to resolve itself. The only thing we can think of is that Microsoft made some change and then reverted back resolving the issue for our reporting. 

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-yifanw-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @JenWilson ,

Based on what you've described, the circular dependency error you're experiencing may be due to differences in the way Power BI Services and Power BI Desktop handle certain data model scenarios.

In addition to the troubleshooting perspective provided by @aj1973 . You can also take some of the following steps to troubleshoot and hopefully resolve the issue:

1. Think back to any recent changes made to the report or data model, as they may have inadvertently introduced circular dependencies. If any changes were made, consider rolling them back to see if that solves the problem.
  2. Ensure that all data source settings and privacy levels are properly configured in the Power BI service. Sometimes changes to privacy levels can lead to unexpected errors.Power BI Services handles privacy levels differently than the desktop version.
  3. Double-check the relationships in the data model to ensure that there are no circular references. To do this, view the relationships in Power BI Desktop and verify that no table is indirectly related to itself.
  4. If the above steps do not reveal any issues, try republishing the report from Power BI Desktop to the service. This can sometimes resolve issues that occur due to temporary server-side issues.

Hope our advice can be of help to you.

Best Regards,

Ada Wang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

@v-yifanw-msft late last week the issue seemed to resolve itself. The only thing we can think of is that Microsoft made some change and then reverted back resolving the issue for our reporting. 

aj1973
Community Champion
Community Champion

HI @JenWilson 

It could be a DAX measure that is causing the circular dependency and is detected by the Service and not the Desktop.

Avoiding circular dependency errors in DAX - SQLBI

Regards
Amine Jerbi

If I answered your question, please mark this thread as accepted
and you can follow me on
My Website, LinkedIn and Facebook

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors