Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

csain

Cannot use Microsoft Fabric trial

Here is what I did:

1. Log in to O365 Admin Portal. Create a new user. Assign them a Microsoft Fabric (Free) license
  2. Log in to Power BI as an organization admin user. Go to Admin Portal > Tenant Settings. Enable "Users can create Fabric items" for the entire organization
  3. Log in to Power BI as the new user. Start the Fabric trial. Got a success message.
  4. Create a workspace and assign it to the trial capacity.

Problem:

• I don't see the Experiences menu in the bottom left corner. I cannot add a Lakehouse or any other Fabric item to the new workspace.

Any idea what I am doing wrong? I have looked everywhere and can't figure this out.

csain_0-1687877645150.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
csain

I think this is solved. The answer is buried at the bottom of https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/fabric/get-started/fabric-trial

What is the region for my Fabric (Preview) trial capacity?

If you start the trial using the Account manager, your trial capacity is located in the home region for your tenant. See Find your Fabric home region for information about how to find your home region, where your data is stored.

What impact does region have on my Fabric (Preview) trial?

Not all regions are available for the Fabric (Preview) trial. Start by looking up your home region and then check to see if your region is supported for the Fabric (Preview) trial. If your home region doesn't have Fabric enabled, don't use the Account manager to start a trial. To start a trial in a region that is not your home region, follow the steps in Other ways to start a Fabric (Preview) trial. If you've already started a trial from Account manager, cancel that trial and follow the steps in Other ways to start a Fabric (Preview) trial instead.

My tenant region is in US Central (Iowa), which is does not have Fabric enabled.

It took me forever to correlate that this could be the issue because I was able to start the Fabric trial without any type of error or warning. There is nothing to indicate that Fabric was not supported in my tenant's region and I had to go through every line in the article to figure out that might be what was causing the unexpected behavior.

Somehow I came across the process of signing up for an individual Power BI license to get around the tenant limitation in my normal organizational account. Steps are here: https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/enterprise/service-admin-signing-up-for-power-bi-with-a-n...

After doing that, I am able to login using the new email address that was generated under the onmicrosoft.com domain with the new tenant generated for the individual account. This entire process was a total pain!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
VickyDev18
Helper II
Helper II

I have the exact same issue with my tenant showing up as US Central (Iowa). I ideally wanted to test things out with my tenant and resources that are only accesible through my tenant, so I guess the only option is to wait for it to get enabled for the region 😞

csain

I think this is solved. The answer is buried at the bottom of https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/fabric/get-started/fabric-trial

What is the region for my Fabric (Preview) trial capacity?

If you start the trial using the Account manager, your trial capacity is located in the home region for your tenant. See Find your Fabric home region for information about how to find your home region, where your data is stored.

What impact does region have on my Fabric (Preview) trial?

Not all regions are available for the Fabric (Preview) trial. Start by looking up your home region and then check to see if your region is supported for the Fabric (Preview) trial. If your home region doesn't have Fabric enabled, don't use the Account manager to start a trial. To start a trial in a region that is not your home region, follow the steps in Other ways to start a Fabric (Preview) trial. If you've already started a trial from Account manager, cancel that trial and follow the steps in Other ways to start a Fabric (Preview) trial instead.

My tenant region is in US Central (Iowa), which is does not have Fabric enabled.

It took me forever to correlate that this could be the issue because I was able to start the Fabric trial without any type of error or warning. There is nothing to indicate that Fabric was not supported in my tenant's region and I had to go through every line in the article to figure out that might be what was causing the unexpected behavior.

Somehow I came across the process of signing up for an individual Power BI license to get around the tenant limitation in my normal organizational account. Steps are here: https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/enterprise/service-admin-signing-up-for-power-bi-with-a-n...

After doing that, I am able to login using the new email address that was generated under the onmicrosoft.com domain with the new tenant generated for the individual account. This entire process was a total pain!

JSPTN
Regular Visitor

The serious flaw was not putting that critical information in a warning box or check first instruction. Would have saved me so much time. This helps, but we can't go off tenant at work, so... 

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Top Solution Authors