Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

__steve__data
Frequent Visitor

Cannot load model due to reaching capacity limits

Cannot open any report via Power BI service. Cannot open any embedded report from our multi tenant application.

Was running no problem with Power BI embedded, then noticed some performance degrading in the last 2 weeks, and as of 2 days ago, cannot open ANY report from the Power BI Service. Cannot open any embedded report from our multi tenant app. Clients are complaining, and this is now urgent priority to fix. 

Have reviewed the forums and can see others reporting similar issues, starting from about 1st November. The affect seems to be more widespread now. We are an Australia based.

Microsoft - any updates, please?!?

Underlying ErrorCapacity operation failed with error code CapacityLimitExceeded

TimeMon Nov 20 2023 11:04:17 GMT+1100 (Australian Eastern Daylight Time)
Service version13.0.22007.81
Client version2311.1.16680-train
Cluster URIhttps://wabi-australia-southeast-redirect.analysis.windows.net/

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

TLDR: Try restarting the Power BI Service. If this doesn't work, increase your SKU capacity - things won't go back to normal immediately, but it should happen sooner. Decrease your SKU capacity back to the original level when things are normal - or when you've run the higher capacity for long enough, given the extra costs!

Hi Rahul, I spent some time back and forth with Microsoft on this, having raised a severity A support request  - the issue essentially took out all reporting on a customer facing app. (And I still await some unanswered questions around how the issue came to be and why it occurred given no significant change to the load on the Power BI service). But putting that aside...

In my case, MS determined the issue was due to throttling - and provided this article to explain it. It makes sense, even if (for my scenario) I don't believe throttling should have occurred in the first place. Note that I use Power BI Embedded.

From the correspondence with Microsoft and reading the article, understanding there is a thing called carry forward is probably one of the most important things to know in this situation. Essentially, a build up of over capacity workload is carried forward and gradually reduces as capacity frees up. Note that more workload (e.g. Power BI datasests getting refreshed) will likely get added to the overall workload Power BI has - while throttling is happening - and this potententially extends the length of time throttling lasts for.

In my case, I got throttled and it was over 2 days before things returned to normal. 

The solution (says Microsoft) is to increase the capacity of your SKU. In my case, I roughly doubled it, from A1 SKU to the A2 SKU. But, this made no good difference - it still took 7 hours after this doubling of SKU capacity for things to return to normal. In hindsight, I probably should have upped the SKU to an A6 or higher, to clear the carry forward, get the reporting working again, then reduce back to an A1.

Note: The usual utilisation - CPU (Gen2) - I see via metrics in Azure is 15-25%. Throttling started about the same time as utilisation hit 100%, but thottling continued while utilisation dropped to 75% and continued for many hours while at under 20%...so current CPU (Gen2) usilisation does not correlate with whether you are being throttled or not. You determine when you are throttled by using the Microsoft Fabric Capacity Metrics app which you get via Apps in the Power BI Service. 

Microsoft also offered a workaround, which was to stop and start the Power Bi (embedded in my case) resource in Azure. This is to clear the carry forward - which would still get processed, and with Microsoft  saying they would not charge for this boost of capacity, since Azure Fabric is relatively new (or something to that effect). In my case, the restart did nothing, so it might not even be a valid workaround anymore. 

Hope all this helps.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Rahul123

I have encountered the same error, "Cannot load model due to reaching capacity limits", and now the error is no more, but the reports have been extremely slow. Can someone help me with this issue?  

TLDR: Try restarting the Power BI Service. If this doesn't work, increase your SKU capacity - things won't go back to normal immediately, but it should happen sooner. Decrease your SKU capacity back to the original level when things are normal - or when you've run the higher capacity for long enough, given the extra costs!

Hi Rahul, I spent some time back and forth with Microsoft on this, having raised a severity A support request  - the issue essentially took out all reporting on a customer facing app. (And I still await some unanswered questions around how the issue came to be and why it occurred given no significant change to the load on the Power BI service). But putting that aside...

In my case, MS determined the issue was due to throttling - and provided this article to explain it. It makes sense, even if (for my scenario) I don't believe throttling should have occurred in the first place. Note that I use Power BI Embedded.

From the correspondence with Microsoft and reading the article, understanding there is a thing called carry forward is probably one of the most important things to know in this situation. Essentially, a build up of over capacity workload is carried forward and gradually reduces as capacity frees up. Note that more workload (e.g. Power BI datasests getting refreshed) will likely get added to the overall workload Power BI has - while throttling is happening - and this potententially extends the length of time throttling lasts for.

In my case, I got throttled and it was over 2 days before things returned to normal. 

The solution (says Microsoft) is to increase the capacity of your SKU. In my case, I roughly doubled it, from A1 SKU to the A2 SKU. But, this made no good difference - it still took 7 hours after this doubling of SKU capacity for things to return to normal. In hindsight, I probably should have upped the SKU to an A6 or higher, to clear the carry forward, get the reporting working again, then reduce back to an A1.

Note: The usual utilisation - CPU (Gen2) - I see via metrics in Azure is 15-25%. Throttling started about the same time as utilisation hit 100%, but thottling continued while utilisation dropped to 75% and continued for many hours while at under 20%...so current CPU (Gen2) usilisation does not correlate with whether you are being throttled or not. You determine when you are throttled by using the Microsoft Fabric Capacity Metrics app which you get via Apps in the Power BI Service. 

Microsoft also offered a workaround, which was to stop and start the Power Bi (embedded in my case) resource in Azure. This is to clear the carry forward - which would still get processed, and with Microsoft  saying they would not charge for this boost of capacity, since Azure Fabric is relatively new (or something to that effect). In my case, the restart did nothing, so it might not even be a valid workaround anymore. 

Hope all this helps.

Thanks for the troubleshooting steps @__steve__data . When you say that we should restart Power BI Service, can you explain what do you mean?

Also, you mentioned that we can increase the SKU capacity and reduce it back to A1. I am trying to understand what is this process all about.

__steve__data
Frequent Visitor

Thanks @v-xiaoyan-msft 

The issue seems to have been resolved - about 3 hours ago. No changes were made on my side, reports just started working again, both from the PowerBI Service and from embedded in the application. So thta's good news.

I have a ticket logged with Microsoft (still open I assume) - have let the support team know that things seem to be back to normal but no final confirmation from them as yet. I did ask if there was anything my side that could be done to prevent or perhaps identify the issue if it were to coming up again. so if there's any info that can be shared on this, please let me know.  

Thanks again. 

v-xiaoyan-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi  @__steve__data ,

We have seen on the internal platform that other engineers have reported this issue and submitted it.
The engineers on the product team are now aware and will do their best to resolve the issue. I will update here if there is any progress, so please be patient.

Best regards.
Community Support Team_Caitlyn

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Kudoed Authors