Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

lesliewelch
Frequent Visitor

Cannot edit or create dataflow - endless spinning

I am on government cloud - Premium Gen2. For at least a week every time I try to either edit an existing dataflow or create a new one, it just spins. On create, I spinning starts on the second screen after I select set up new tables. This has been happening at least 50% of the time since March, but I can't get it to ever open in the last week or so. Existing dataflows are still refreshing. 

I have tried Edge, Chrome, and Explorer. I have tried logging out, clearing the cache, and closing the browser before re-opening. Any other suggestions?

7 REPLIES 7
m13eam
Resolver II
Resolver II

I experience the same (Pro workspace). The dataflow refreshes work fine, but creating or editing a dataflow is a pain - just experience a "waiting" icon that spins endlessly. The only solution I've found is to go back to the workspace and try again. Eventually I'm able to get through to Power Query! I'd be very interested if anyone has found a more elegant solution.

There's hope that this issue may be resolved next week: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Issues/Dataflows-Just-spinning/idi-p/2893118

collinq
Super User
Super User

Hi @lesliewelch ,

Have you seen this notice on the Power BI Support Page?

Power BI customers using dataflows may experience long running refreshes or refreshes stuck in cancelling state. As a workaround, please refer to the Power BI Dataflow known issues documentation. Engineers have identified multiple root causes and deployed first improvement of experience. A next major wave of fixes is expected to be deployed by end-of-day 07/21/2022.

I am wondering if that is the issue?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Datanaut!
Private message me for consulting or training needs.

Thanks for responding - I have seen that. In this case it is not the refresh. I can't even create a table in the first place - as soon as I click on Define new tables or Link tables from other dataflows I am immediately stuck in the spinning loading circle. Same thing happens if I go to edit an existing flow. I can refresh with no issue. 

Hi @lesliewelch,

I took a vacation (without technology) and am back now and am interested if this is resolved for you or if it still an issue?

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Turned out to be a VPN issue. We have to be on the vpn to log in, off to create a new flow, and back on to connect to data. My understanding is that this gets addressed internally, then microsoft puts out a new update, then it resurfaces. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi I have the same issue.. the waiting time to edit a dataflow is infinite.. the refresh works fine. Just change the code is very long.. why?

Hey @Anonymous ,

Well, according to the Support statement "As of 07/25/2022, Power BI premium customers using Dataflows will have a more reliable experience running dataflow refreshes. For customers who are still experiencing long running refreshes or refreshes stuck in cancelling state we recommend splitting complex dataflows, limiting the total number of queries per dataflow, and strategically planning scheduled refreshes on premium capacities. On 09/29/2022 we brought another wave of improvements into production, and we are continuing to invest in further improvements. Expect more information from us by 11/01/2022. Please refer to the Power BI Dataflow known issues documentation for more details and suggested next steps."

So, I guess that based on that the options are to wait another month, break down your dataflow or create a ticket and see if there is something that Microsoft can help you with in the meantime.

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors