Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

JUNPEI
Frequent Visitor

Can we write data to on premise database?

I have set up the on-premise data gateway. I have no issue ingesting data from on-premise database (e.g. Oracle, MySQL, MS SQL) to the LakeHouse. My questions is, is it possible to write data back to the on-prem database from Fabric?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
SaiTejaTalasila
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

Hi,

As per my knowledge only 2 options you have -

1.PowerOn integration 

2.powerapps integration 

Both requires additional spending.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
JUNPEI
Frequent Visitor

Thank you, all. I will look into the PowerOn and PowerApps options. 

SaiTejaTalasila
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

Hi,

As per my knowledge only 2 options you have -

1.PowerOn integration 

2.powerapps integration 

Both requires additional spending.

v-yohua-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @JUNPEI 

On-premises data gateways primarily facilitate secure data transfer between on-premises data sources and cloud services such as Power BI, PowerApps, and Azure Analysis Services. It's designed to effectively support data ingestion from on-premises sources to cloud environments. However, typical use cases for on-premises data gateways don't include writing data directly from a cloud service or platform such as Fabric back to an on-premises database.

For scenarios where you need to write data from Fabric back to your on-premises database, consider implementing a process that involves exporting data to a file in the cloud and then importing this data into the database using a tool or script that runs in your on-premises environment. This method requires manual or automated steps outside of the direct functionality of the on-premises data gateway.

For more details about the on-premises data gateway and its features, see the following documentation: 

On-premises data gateway - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

How to Get Your Question Answered Quickly 

Best Regards

Yongkang Hua

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

@v-yohua-msft you missed the point of the question.  It is about the ability to write into on-premise data source from Power BI/Fabric.

That is not officially supported in Power BI. There are workarounds, none of them reliable.

It is however, standard practice in Power Automate and Power Apps - using the same On-premises gateways.

Hi,

I have seen applications in production which uses PowerOn visuals for doing write-back.But every one can't afford it as it is little expensive and your workspace should be on premium capacity and XMLA read/write enabled.And poweron team will provide training on how to create those visuals.

Thanks,

Sai Teja 

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Top Solution Authors