Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

mmossel
Employee
Employee

Can a free user create a report in a Premium capacity workspace?

Can free users in a Premium capacity workspace draw up a report/dashboard based on a Power BI Dataset residing inside that same workspace, and then also publish it in that same workspace for others too see? If possible, are there limitations (that would be solved if the user has a Pro license)?

On the following page, it looks like creating a report is possible (scenario 2), but then at the same time I'm not sure if that poses any other restrictions: Feature availability for users with free licenses - Power BI | Microsoft Docs. Would be great to have clarity on this.

Kind regards,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-xiaotang
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @mmossel 

One type of organizational subscription, Power BI Premium, is a capacity-based license. Using Premium allows users with a free license to act on content in workspaces that are assigned to Premium capacity. Outside of Premium capacity, a user with a free license can only use the Power BI service to connect to data and create reports and dashboards in My Workspace. They can't share content with others or publish content to other workspaces. To learn more about workspace types, see Types of workspaces.

A Power BI organization with only free and Pro per-user licenses uses a shared and limited capacity to process content. If content is stored in that shared capacity, users who are assigned a Power BI Pro license can collaborate only with other Power BI Pro users. They can consume content shared by other users, publish content to app workspaces, share dashboards, and subscribe to dashboards and reports. When workspaces are in Premium capacity, Pro users may distribute content to users who don't have a Power BI Pro license.

Content created by a user who is assigned a Premium Per User license can only be shared with other users that have a Premium Per User license, unless that content is specifically put on a workspace hosted on a Premium capacity. The table below summarizes the basic capabilities of each license type. For a detailed breakdown of feature availability per license type, see Features by license type.

FYI:https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/admin/service-admin-licensing-organization#license-types-a...

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Service/best-practice-for-Power-BI-Pro-License/td-p/1865018

Hope it helps!

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _ Tang

If this post helps, please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
v-xiaotang
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @mmossel 

One type of organizational subscription, Power BI Premium, is a capacity-based license. Using Premium allows users with a free license to act on content in workspaces that are assigned to Premium capacity. Outside of Premium capacity, a user with a free license can only use the Power BI service to connect to data and create reports and dashboards in My Workspace. They can't share content with others or publish content to other workspaces. To learn more about workspace types, see Types of workspaces.

A Power BI organization with only free and Pro per-user licenses uses a shared and limited capacity to process content. If content is stored in that shared capacity, users who are assigned a Power BI Pro license can collaborate only with other Power BI Pro users. They can consume content shared by other users, publish content to app workspaces, share dashboards, and subscribe to dashboards and reports. When workspaces are in Premium capacity, Pro users may distribute content to users who don't have a Power BI Pro license.

Content created by a user who is assigned a Premium Per User license can only be shared with other users that have a Premium Per User license, unless that content is specifically put on a workspace hosted on a Premium capacity. The table below summarizes the basic capabilities of each license type. For a detailed breakdown of feature availability per license type, see Features by license type.

FYI:https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/admin/service-admin-licensing-organization#license-types-a...

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Service/best-practice-for-Power-BI-Pro-License/td-p/1865018

Hope it helps!

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _ Tang

If this post helps, please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Also a free license cannot share any reports or dashboard with others.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

AbhiSSRS
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

A Pro license is required for any kind of content creation for hosting in a workspace in Power BI.

Free License enables you to publish report created on desktop to your own workspace.

GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @mmossel 

A free person can only view reports and cannot edit any reports.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

aj1973
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @mmossel 

A user to be able to connect to a workspace needs a permission and the permission cannot be served to a free user therefore he is not able to build a report.

Regards
Amine Jerbi

If I answered your question, please mark this thread as accepted
and you can follow me on
My Website, LinkedIn and Facebook

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Top Solution Authors