Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

shaunb94
Helper I
Helper I

Can I hide Power Bi Reports from the Power BI Admin?

Hi, 

We have been drafed in to improve some Power BI Reports for a client that a different company originally built. 

This company is a competitor of ours & is the owner of the software that the client uses & is also still the Power BI Admin.

My worry is when I build the improved reports, my competitor (the original builder's of the report), will be able to see the reports as they are the Power BI admin and they will just include these reports in their offering to the other 200 plus client's that are in the exact same sector who we are competing with to win as clients.

Is there anyway I can hide the report pages from them while they are the Power BI Admin? 

I am currently thinking of an NDA but I do not think it would be watertight enough? 

3 REPLIES 3
ibarrau
Super User
Super User

No you can't. You might be able to avoid spread the voice about the report, sure, but if a PowerBi/Fabric Administrator of the organization starts checking all the content at the company. They are able to reach out any report.

You should consider NDA, or other way of sharing. You can also think about an RLS configuration to let them out of the report with pure blank for them except your specific user, but that doesn't change the fact that they might be able to read how it's build downloading the pbix file.

I hope that helps

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Happy to help!

LaDataWeb Blog

I wonder would applying the incremental refresh (which stops downloading the report to desktop being possible) be a good idea along with RLS or monitoring who views the report? 

As Admin, do you know if it possible that they could delete the data on them viewing a report? 

I could also try the RLS too. 

That's a good point. If the dataset has incremental refresh, none user can download the pbix file, not even the admin. You could set also RLS to let only your users view the report.
Admin has the control of the tenant. So even if they can't download. They could delete the semantic model and report any time. Also consider that any person with deep knowledge of modeling and fabric might know that if they turn on capacity at the workspace and connect Tabular editor to the semantic model, they can check the power query code and measures. It's not downloading the pbix, but they can check how it's done. It's a different level of expertise getting there, but it's possible.

Regards,

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Happy to help!

LaDataWeb Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Top Solution Authors