Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

uif19085
Helper III
Helper III

Best way to refresh a Dataset

Hello to you all
I ran into an issue while playing with data refresh feature.

My datasource is a PostgresDb, hosted in AWS. I've put a simple report into the PowerBi Service and then i added a new row in a table from my Database and tried to refresh it in PowerBI Service only from the Refresh button, nothing happens. I'm going back to the PowerBi Desktop, refresh it from there, data refreshed but in the Service data remained the same.
Do you have any idea what could be the problem or am I missing something? 

Also i've tried schedule refresh but at least i got an error, here's an topic for reffrence: 
https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Service/PostGreSQL-schedule-refresh-error-on-Power-BI-service/m-p/1...

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

When attempting a scheduled refresh, is the error message the exact same as the one in the link you posted? If so, have you tried the accepted solution there?

Like yourself, I also have a Postgres DB in AWS and in my experience the gateway config tends to be the root of the problems, but sometimes a gateway is not needed if all your data sources are in the cloud. In these cases, disabling the gateway can fix the issues.

When a gateway is necessary, you can try installing the on-prem Gateway on your own PC and configuring the PBI Service refreshes through there just to test if it works, because if it does then you have determined that the problem is with the AWS gateway.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
IgnasiVelasco
Frequent Visitor

Hi uif19085,

When you make changes to a report, it is not enough to press Refresh (this only pulls the data again), but you also need to click Publish (icon on the right side) to send the latest version of this .pbix file to PBI Service (the cloud version). 

image.png
After clicking Publish, find the correct workspace where the report is located, and then overwrite it.

Regarding the other issue you mentioned, I would need to see an error code/description or some details. There can be several reasons why it does not refresh from the cloud, but if the same report is correctly refreshing in PBI Desktop, then it might be a problem with the way the Gateway is set up.

Hi @IgnasiVelasco , i'm intrested in avoiding the process of overwriting or at least to make it automated, when i will have many reports I wouldn't want to manually refresh them all. So what do you think is the best way? 

When attempting a scheduled refresh, is the error message the exact same as the one in the link you posted? If so, have you tried the accepted solution there?

Like yourself, I also have a Postgres DB in AWS and in my experience the gateway config tends to be the root of the problems, but sometimes a gateway is not needed if all your data sources are in the cloud. In these cases, disabling the gateway can fix the issues.

When a gateway is necessary, you can try installing the on-prem Gateway on your own PC and configuring the PBI Service refreshes through there just to test if it works, because if it does then you have determined that the problem is with the AWS gateway.

Thank you for your feedback. I'll try both solution, i dig a little into this and indeed the problem seems to be the Gateway. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Top Solution Authors