Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

DaveConnors
Regular Visitor

Being forced to use a gateway for Onedrive for business

Why am I forced to use a gateway if using data from an excel file stored on onedrive for business? How is that NOT a cloud source?

I have a report, and when I share it to the service I can't refresh it because of a gateway issue. I recently moved my SQL from VM to Azure PaaS so deleted my gateway and it was working fine without for a while so I was baffled.

Turns out I added some additional data from an excel on OneDrive for Business, and now it demands a gateway again. Why on earth would it do that, since it's still a cloud-based dataset with nothing on-premise?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Burningsuit
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @DaveConnors 

It's probable that you've connected to the Excel file that has been synchronised from OneDrive onto your hard disk. Because its a synchronized copy of your OneDrive file on your local hard disk Power BI needs a Gateway to access the local file.

You need to use the web connector to connect to the Excel file in OneDrive in the Cloud, see..

Use OneDrive for Business links in Power BI Desktop - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

Briefly, you get the URL of the Excel file in the OneDrive Cloud, then connect to that with the web connector. Because it's a cloud to cloud connection in Power BI you won't need a Gateway.

Hope this helps

Stuart

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Burningsuit
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @DaveConnors 

It's probable that you've connected to the Excel file that has been synchronised from OneDrive onto your hard disk. Because its a synchronized copy of your OneDrive file on your local hard disk Power BI needs a Gateway to access the local file.

You need to use the web connector to connect to the Excel file in OneDrive in the Cloud, see..

Use OneDrive for Business links in Power BI Desktop - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

Briefly, you get the URL of the Excel file in the OneDrive Cloud, then connect to that with the web connector. Because it's a cloud to cloud connection in Power BI you won't need a Gateway.

Hope this helps

Stuart

@Burningsuit thank you!! That's worked. I was sure there must be a way, I was looking for a specific onedrive connector, not the web one.

Thank you so much, that's done the job a treat. Can't tell you how frustrated I was so I really appreciate that!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Top Solution Authors