Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Sparta
Frequent Visitor

BI Map Legend Tooltip Issue

Hi All,

I’m having some trouble with the “map” visual field parameters in the web version of Power BI. I have a map in a report with long and lat data that all shows up fine. However I can only add either a legend or a tooltip for some reason. If I try to have both regardless of the field type the locations disappear from the map. However when selecting “Show Data” the values are all there.

Bear in mind this dataset and report project was functioning fine a few days ago, this error seem to come out of the blue. The error only takes place in the online workspace of Power BI, Desktop works fine.

There are no warning or error messages that come up so I’m having trouble tracing the error-I would assume it would be with the dataset however as I mentioned there were no changes to my knowledge.

Let me know if you have any thoughts! 

8 REPLIES 8
v-frfei-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Sparta,

Could you please tell me what is the version of your Power BI desktop?

Baes on my test using the June version (2.59.5135.781 64-bit (June 2018)). Both desktop and service could work well for the map.

1.png

However, when I use the latest version desktop. (2.60.5169.2101 64-bit (July 2018)) I got the same issue as you. All the points disappear in a sudden. However, after I publish the report to service, it get to normal with no issue.

2.png

For more details, please check the files as attached. Could you please share sample data of your table so that I can test?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/g1f47h2j1jgawzl/BI%20Map%20-july.pbix?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/bl38vfl9vyv80bc/mapbi-june.pbix?dl=0

Regards,
Frank

Community Support Team _ Frank
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the others find it more quickly.

@v-frfei-msft

I have Desktop version 2.57.5068.721

Hi @Sparta,

Here we need to change the data type before creating the map visual.

re1.png

Then everything should be ok now.

re2.png

For more details, please check the pbix as attached.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vol1i2xzc62l2sd/canbedeleted.pbix?dl=0

Regards,

Frank

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the others find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Frank,

Thanks for testing-unfortunatley even with changing the data category type and re-publishing I'm getting the same result..

Even creating a new project..adding the data.. changing the cateogry type.. making the map.. adding the legend and tooltip.. and then publishing.. results in a blank map.

I've even tried publishing without the legend and tooltip and then readding in the workspace but still no dice..

This isn't related to me using the April version of desktop is it?

Thanks

Hi @Sparta,

Here I had a try to use the desktop of April.  The issue could be reproduced, so here I suggest to update the desktop to the latest one and try again. It is recommended to use latest version of Power BI Desktop.

Regards,

Frank

Anonymous
Not applicable

I was able to update to the June edition-still being able to reproduce the error..

Was this resolved in the July edition only?? 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Frank,

I am also Sparta-

Here is a link to the data and the project: Google Drive Data

I would publish as a service, however as you noticed the error is only as you set either legend or tooltip.. In this case the flag was to be the legend, and the "OBName" field was meant to be the tooltip. 

I have the April Desktop version which works totally fine-it is when I've uploaded as a service does it make me choose tooltip or legend for the map.

I appreicate your help! 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Frank,

I am also Sparta-

Here is a link to the data and the project: Google Drive Data

I would publish as a service, however as you noticed the error is only as you set either legend or tooltip.. In this case the flag was to be the legend, and the "OBName" field was meant to be the tooltip. 

I have the April Desktop version which works totally fine-it is when I've uploaded as a service does it make me choose tooltip or legend for the map.

I appreicate your help! 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors