Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

LD1
Helper III
Helper III

Automatic refresh data in the Powerbi application on service?

Hi Powerbi's team !

I have created an application for publishing a report. 

The dataset has an automatically refresh but... not in the application (same situation for dataset).

The dataset's update is scheduled every day.

LD1_0-1696927126435.png

I don't know how to update all data in the application without click on "update application" everyday, it's not practical.

LD1_1-1696927162220.png

Then, I don't want that everybody comes in the workspace and see all dataset, dataflows, etc. 

The application is a very good concept to manage access user but if we can't have an automatic refresh when the dataset has finished to actualise, what's it for? 

Thank you in advance for your help.

Lena

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
ibarrau
Super User
Super User

Hi Lena. There is a confusion here. The Power Bi App will show new data when schedule refresh. I'm using that on my company and I have built it for others. The "Update App" is only for manual changes like changing colors in visual, adding a new column to the dataset, changing a measure, etc. If you have your latest changes on the Power Bi App, then just configure schedule refresh and data should flow at the dataset and app.

Make sure you don't have some cache in there that won't let you check the changes as soon as you refresh. You can refresh visuals with the top right button or F5 to the browser after the schedule refresh because it should work:

ibarrau_0-1696941379200.png

I hope that helps,

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Happy to help!

LaDataWeb Blog

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
ibarrau
Super User
Super User

Hi Lena. There is a confusion here. The Power Bi App will show new data when schedule refresh. I'm using that on my company and I have built it for others. The "Update App" is only for manual changes like changing colors in visual, adding a new column to the dataset, changing a measure, etc. If you have your latest changes on the Power Bi App, then just configure schedule refresh and data should flow at the dataset and app.

Make sure you don't have some cache in there that won't let you check the changes as soon as you refresh. You can refresh visuals with the top right button or F5 to the browser after the schedule refresh because it should work:

ibarrau_0-1696941379200.png

I hope that helps,

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Happy to help!

LaDataWeb Blog

Hi @ibarrau thank you so much for your answer but it means that everytime the dataset is refreshed we must have necessarly click on this button? 

I was hoping for an automatic update at the end of the dataset's refresh.

It seems more logical with your demonstration (but still not enough O:) )

It's a lot of work when you need to do that everytime you want to refresh data for all dashboard especially when the dataset works automatically.

But obvisouly it's not your fault just a statement about the system !!!

Thank you again and have a good day

Well, it depends on how you use it. If you have it open all day, yes you might need to click it to see changes. However, if you open you report two or three times a day, each time you open it, it probably has been updated and refreshed thanks to the browser. Browser cache can be a pain.

Maybe soon Fabric will change this with direct lake. We'll see.

Regards

Happy to help!

LaDataWeb Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors